Chapter 32

JACE

It's been back and forth to New York for several weeks. Abby came with me a few more times, but she stayed home to work on her book most of the time. According to her, things were progressing, and I was glad.

When I finally finished the last touches of the new Dawson Enterprises building in New York, I called my chef. Tonight, I was going to fly to Florida and have Chef Goodwin prepare a nice meal for Abby and me. I'd also gotten a little surprise for her since it was a week before her twenty-second birthday. Tonight would be perfect because it was my birthday, something she didn't know about.

ABBY

I've been working on my book for the last three hours, and my fingers were cramping, and my eyes were tired of staring at a screen. I decided to call it quits for the day and headed into the kitchen to see what I would have for dinner; Chef Goodwin was already cooking up a storm when I got in the kitchen. I hadn't even heard him come in.

"Chef Goodwin, what a surprise to see you! What are you doing here?" I asked curiously.

"Jace called me a little bit ago and asked me to cook you two a nice dinner. He said he'd be flying in from New York in a bit and wanted dinner to be ready once he got here."

"Aw, that was sweet of him. I didn't know he was coming home tonight. I will put on something nicer than pajama pants," I laughed.

While searching the closet, I found a new dress in a garment bag with a note saying wear me. Confused about where it came from, I pulled it out of the closet and laid it on the bed to unzip it. I was curious as to what was inside.

I gasped. "No," I said. "Oh my gosh. This is so beautiful!" Inside the garment bag was a long, elegant emerald green gown. There was another note on the dress that said wanna dance. I covered my mouth in surprise and quickly changed into the gown.

After curling my long blonde locks, applying makeup, and adding accessories, there was a knock on my bedroom door. "Abby, where are you?" It was Lauren.

"Over here!" Lauren popped her head into the bathroom, wearing a gown like mine, only in royal blue. "What is going on?" I asked.

Lauren smiled. "Just our annual family charity event to raise money for kids in Africa. Jace likes to make it all special, and I love it!"

"That is so awesome. I didn't know you guys did charity work. The public doesn't talk about it on the internet or news."

Lauren nodded. "Yeah, I know. Tonight, they will, though. Callum said the media has been getting word of what we're doing all week. It'll be great for the kids in Africa and the company!" Lauren hugged me tight and then handed me a gorgeous pair of diamond earrings.

My eyes widened. "Lauren, these look way too expensive for me to wear. I couldn't possibly." I gave the earrings back to her, but she refused them.

"Abby, these are a gift from Jace. He told me to give them to you. I've been keeping them for about a week. If he had gotten out of New York sooner, he would've given them to you. Please wear them."

"Jace got these for me?" I asked. Lauren nodded. I took the earrings back in my hand and admired them. Dangly diamond earrings that sparkled. I'd never owned such a beautiful gift. I put the earrings in and clasped them from behind. "Wow."

"You look beautiful, Abby. Jace is going to fall face-first to the floor when he sees you. He's matching you, you know? I mean not entirely, but I know his tie matches your dress with his black suit."

Now that's cute. "I've been wanting to match with him for a long time. I wore a green top to work... it was the day Blaze was there... but that was the shirt I would wear to match with Jace one day. I told him it'd happen eventually, and now it is."