twenty → hat trick

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

as the celebratory atmosphere from the first match slowly calmed down, the matildas turned their focus to the upcoming challenge against japan. the anticipation grew, knowing that facing another top team in the asian football confederation would demand heightened performance and strategic planning.

the team travelled further south to san diego from carson, their previous match location. the change in venue added an element of excitement and curiosity, as the players mentally prepared for a match that promised to be a harder test than their victorious encounter with brazil.

during the journey, conversations buzzed with a mix of nerves and determination. players discussed tactics, shared insights from previous encounters with japanese teams, and mentally geared up for the upcoming clash. the coaching staff, led by evelyn, took this time to review strategies, analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the japanese team, and fine-tune their game plan.

katrina gorry and caitlin foord, being well-versed in the world of women's football, eagerly shared insights on some of the key players from japan, drawing from their experiences playing club football overseas in the same country. as they gathered with the team, the duo provided valuable perspectives that could potentially give the matildas an edge in understanding their opponents.

"watch out for kumi yokoyama," gorry emphasised, her eyes reflecting a mix of respect and competitive spirit. "she's got incredible ball control and vision. played against her a couple of times–tricky to defend against."

caitlin foord chimed in, adding her thoughts on another standout player. "sameshima is a force in the defence. quick on the ball, smart passes, and she knows how to exploit gaps. we need to keep an eye on her movements."

their firsthand experiences and encounters with these japanese players during club matches brought a unique depth to the team's tactical discussions. evelyn listened intently, appreciating the detailed insights that could help shape the game plan for the upcoming match.

the team absorbed this knowledge, incorporating it into their strategy sessions and training drills. understanding the strengths and tendencies of key opponents became a crucial aspect of their preparation, ensuring they were ready to face the challenges posed by japan's skilled lineup.

upon reaching san diego, the team immersed themselves in the surroundings, soaking in the atmosphere of the new location. the anticipation of facing a strong opponent added a layer of intensity to their preparations. training sessions became more focused, with an emphasis on refining specific plays and addressing areas of improvement identified from the previous match.

as game day approached, a blend of excitement and nerves filled the air. the matildas knew that a successful performance against japan would secure their current standing in the tournament.

the stage was set for another crucial match, and the matildas were ready to embrace the challenge that lay ahead in san diego.

the vibrant atmosphere of the stadium was amplified by the enthusiastic cheers of the crowd as the matildas took to the pitch for their warm-up session. trainers moved strategically among the players, guiding them through dynamic exercises to ensure they were physically prepared for the upcoming match against japan.

evelyn observed the warm-up with a watchful eye, considering the adjustments she had made to the starting lineup. in the goal, she had shifted keeping roles, and macca's focused warm-up routines showcased her determination to guard the net with precision. the defensive unit, with polks stepping in for ellie, practised coordinated movements and clearances.

the midfield, unchanged from the previous match, displayed their chemistry in passing drills, showcasing the fluidity of their transitions. evelyn's decision to rest de vanna and bring in emily gielnik was a strategic move, keeping the team's key players fresh for the anticipated clash against the united states. she did the same for caitlin foord, after having a stunner match previously, she allowed hayley raso to take her spot, switching her up as a left wing instead.