thirty one → similarity of feelings

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

as the weight of the conversation hung in the air, maxine, ever perceptive to the nuances of her friends' dynamics, took charge of the situation. without a word, she gathered all the shopping bags, her passionate determination contrasting with the subtlety of her actions.

with a mischievous glint in her eye, the redhead looked at evelyn and then at sam, gesturing towards the door. "i'll catch up with you later. gotta stash these goodies in the hotel room," she declared, a knowing smile playing on her lips.

evelyn, caught between the swirling emotions of the conversation and maxine's silent encouragement, found herself nodding in agreement. "yeah, i'll meet you back at the hotel," she said, appreciation evident in her voice.

as the drummer disappeared into the crowd, the two girls were left alone in the bustling food court.

"max is right," evelyn said, breaking the silence that had settled between them. "we should catch up properly, no weird setbacks this time."

sam, a hint of a smile playing on her lips, nodded in agreement. "yeah, let's take a walk, maybe find a quieter place to talk."

the duo navigated through the city streets, the vibrant energy of chicago serving as a backdrop to their conversation. maxine, watching from a distance, couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction. sometimes, it took a friend's nudge to push the comfort zone of the other.

as they continued their walk through the streets, sam turned to evelyn with a hesitant smile. "i just got a new apartment here. it's not much, still filled with unpacked boxes and pretty boring decor, but if you're up for it, i'd love for you to see it."

evelyn, appreciating the genuine offer and eager to extend the moment of connection, nodded. "sure, i'd love to see where you're staying."

they made their way to sam's apartment, it wasn't too far away, close enough for walking distance. upon arrival, the striker welcomed evelyn into the space she now called home. the apartment, true to sam's description, held an air of newness, with boxes scattered around and furniture waiting for a personal touch.

"i just moved in a few days ago, so it's still a work in progress," sam explained, a hint of self-consciousness in her tone.

evelyn, however, was genuinely interested. "it's great, sam, you can't expect much from a few days," she remarked, scanning the space with a warm smile.

sam led evelyn through the rooms, offering tales about the challenges of finding the right furniture and the thrill of making the place her own.

in one corner, boxes marked "kitchen" hinted at the potential for shared meals and gatherings. in another, the living room awaited the touch of personal artefacts and memories. the journey through the apartment became an exploration of sam's fresh start in chicago.

"hey, want to give me a hand with unpacking?" sam suggested, an invitation that evelyn gladly accepted.

the two friends began unpacking boxes, revealing glimpses of sam's life—pieces of memorabilia, framed photographs, and the occasional quirky trinket. as they worked, the conversation flowed effortlessly, threading through memories, laughter, and their present lives.

evelyn found herself immersed in the process, realising that this simple act of unpacking was more than a task. as they arranged items on shelves and hung artwork, the apartment slowly transformed from a blank canvas into a space filled with character.

by the time they paused for a break, the apartment had undergone a noticeable change. boxes had transformed into cosy corners, and the walls bore witness to shared art. sam looked around, genuine gratitude in her eyes.