thirty five → never-ending climb

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

evelyn sat in her cosy apartment, her fingers tapping on her phone screen as she composed a message to sam. the past couple of weeks had been a whirlwind of emotions, late-night calls, and exchanged messages that brought a newfound warmth to their connection. however, there was a wavering confusion in the girl's mind.

sammy

hey sam
are you in la for a game in a couple of days?

the girl had wondered why the other hadn't mentioned it yet, choosing her words carefully.

it would've been great to catch up
even for just an hour
let me know if you have some time :)

she hit send and waited anxiously for sam's response. the minutes felt like hours as evelyn's thoughts raced with anticipation, throwing her phone to the side, yet couldn't keep her eyes off the screen. the familiar ping of an incoming message finally broke the silence.

hey

sam's reply appeared on the screen.

yeah i'm here for a game
but it's a super tight schedule.
i didn't want to bother u with the details
u know how it is

evelyn's brow furrowed at the response. the explanation seemed reasonable, but there was an underlying hesitation in sam's words. determined to get to the bottom of it, the singer pressed on.

come on sammy
ur never a bother
we've been catching up so well
i'd love to see u, what abt just for a quick coffee?

there was a pause before sam's reply appeared, and evelyn's eyes scanned the screen intently.

i appreciate the offer ev, i really do
but the schedule is just too tight, and i don't want to promise something i might not be able to keep
maybe next time?

the singer sighed, feeling a twinge of disappointment. she knew sam's career was demanding, but the sudden reluctance to meet in person left her with an uneasy feeling. their communication, once so effortless, now seemed strained and guarded. determined not to let it go, she decided to address the underlying tension directly.

is everything ok?

she asked, her concern seeping into the text. the typing indicator danced on the screen for a moment before sam's response appeared.

it's just things have been a bit hectic lately
but i am grateful for your concern
let's catch up after the game ok?

evelyn's worry deepened at the striker's vague response. something felt off, and she couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to the story than sam was letting on. despite the uncertainty, she decided to give her the space she seemed to need, for now.

ofc!
take care of yourself
i'm here for you :)

as the conversation came to a close, evelyn couldn't shake the unease that wavered. the late-night calls and exchanged messages had created a sense of closeness between them, but the sudden hesitancy from sam left a subtle crack in the foundation of their friendship.

the days passed, and the game in la approached. evelyn found herself immersed in work and the preparations for her upcoming album release, yet her thoughts kept drifting back to sam. the unanswered questions and the tension weighed on her mind, creating a sense of anticipation for their post-game catch-up.