6.

-HIM-

"You should see her," Gunner urged me, "she's from the council. You don't get that every day," he said. He had a point, but I felt indolent today. "She's waiting downstairs,"

"Already?" I grunted.

"She seems like a talker if that helps," he added to make it seem easier for me, but it didn't help much. I didn't want to go out. All I wanted to do was sulk in my private room, watch the bets for the night, and then head home. "Jeremy's watching her," Gunner added after noticing my passivity.

"Give me a moment," I told him. He gave me a lingering look before leaving. I checked a few more bets, delaying the meeting. Even though I had previously agreed to meet this council member, I didn't feel like doing so, not tonight particularly, but Gunner had urged that tonight would be perfect.

The woman wanted me to find a missing council member alive. I was good at those sorts of things, but sometimes, I just wanted to laze away and watch the days pass. I was too bored of life to give a fvck.

I groaned to myself, deciding to go downstairs and get it over with. After that, I'd have the rest of the night to myself without interruption. That felt like a good plan.

I left the room and went to the underground club. The crowd immediately made me want to leave, but I somehow pushed through, wishing to complete this task as soon as possible.

As I approached the bar, I noticed a few customers already there. At first, I couldn't tell which one was there to meet me, but after a closer look, I spotted a woman sitting alone. She was the one.

I schooled my features, headed towards her and slipped into the empty seat beside her.

"Is this for me, Jeremy?" I asked the tattooed brute, who greeted me with a grin but turned his attention back to the customers shortly. I took the drink waiting at the counter and downed it all at once. It was fairly plain for my tastes, but that didn't matter.

While I downed the drink, I felt the woman sitting beside me watching me closely. Oddly, I could feel her eyes on me fiercely, as if she were watching every move I made, making me feel oddly self-aware. For some fvcking reason, my wolf stirred inside me, too.

As I finished the drink, I felt the she-wolf stiffen beside me. I didn't know why I felt the urge to turn around and look at her. I wanted to see who she was. Gunner had done all the checks on her, and I relied on him heavily for those sorts of things.

Come to think of it, I hadn't given enough thought to this to even know her name. One might call that irresponsible, but I couldn't care less. My job was merely to get things done. The rest was Gunner's job.

However, as soon as I turned to look at her, I regretted not knowing anything about her. Because as soon as I looked into her grey eyes, I realised why my wolf was suddenly so active. However, it took me a few seconds to wrap my head around it, mainly because I was left staring at her beautiful oval face and lithe features.

Her grey eyes were wide as she stared back at me; her features blanched, and her lips parted in stupefaction. The more I stared at her, the more I felt an instant surge of emotions wash over me. The need to claim her was instant and overwhelming.

"Mine," I growled, not wasting a second. If anything, her face paled even more, and I wondered why. The look of initial shock on her face was gradually replaced by horror. She looked at me as if she had seen some ghost, which puzzled me,

Before I could say anything, she stood up stiffly. Then she turned away and started walking, and my bewilderment grew. What was the matter with her?

However, before I could follow her and ask her anything, she had already disappeared from the club. I tried to go after her, but the crowd at the club made it hard. By the time I reached the casino, there was no trace of her anywhere.

What just happened? Why did she leave so abruptly? Wasn't she here to meet me? Gunner told me she had been desperate to get the work done, so why did she run away?

I frowned to myself. I wanted to pursue her, hunt her down, and demand all the answers. The way she had left also didn't make my wolf happy. Wasn't she pleased to have me as her mate? The thought threatened to send me into a fit of rage.

I went back into my room and called for Gunner.

"That was quick. What kind of deal did you make with her?" He asked me.

"She ran away," I told him, and he looked equally puzzled.

"That's a first, but I'm not surprised. The councillors are a bunch of—"

"She ran away because she found out I'm her mate," I added, and this shut him up. The look of bewilderment thickened on his face.

"Do you want me to hunt her down and bring her to you?" He offered, a sincere look on his face.

"You don't have to do that. She'd come to be again," I rubbed my forehead. I wasn't sure about the statement, but something in me told me I'd see her sooner than expected.

"You sure?" Gunner asked, hiding the hint of amusement in his voice.

"She got overwhelmed by my charms. A day of recovery would be enough for her." I commented, and Gunner chuckled.

"You can't be so sure,"

"Why? Didn't you mention she was desperate to get the work done? She'd be back soon, mark my words," I said firmly.

"What about the price? What are you going to ask from her?" He asked.

"Hmm... that's an easy one. You can guess," I replied slyly, "But for now, give me all the details on her,"

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

thanks for reading<3