13.

-HIM-

"I don't believe in mates even if we are paired together. Being mates doesn't mean shit. It's not permanent. It's a bunch of woo-woo stuff that fucks people up," The disgust with which she spoke about it was surprising and off-putting, but it made me wonder why she perceived it that way. Was it because of any prior bad experience? This seemed likely otherwise; it was rare for wolves to think this way.

Getting a mate was one of the most important things for us wolves, and it is what we looked forward to; well, I certainly had hoped for one for a long time, even though I knew the chances were slim. This made our meeting nothing less than a miracle. I wonder why the moon goddess decided to bless me with her abruptly. I had doubts about this whole situation, but I didn't have doubts about my Veronica. She was perfection... yet she didn't seem to want me because of my lordship.

"Now let me go," She hissed, trying to free herself from my arms, but I wouldn't let her go anywhere. Not until we had figured this out. I needed to know why she thought so poorly of mates.

"Are you sure you're talking about the same stuff as I?" I asked just to be sure. She shot me a blazing look.

"I'm, and now, let me go or—"

"Or?" I urged and, in response, felt something poking my stomach. I raised an eyebrow at her but didn't look down at it. I knew what it was.

"Or I pull the trigger," She growled. I searched her face for any sign of joking, but she seemed severe and deep down, it disheartened me. The trust was lacking, but at the same time, it wasn't her fault. Her stance was somewhat natural, given she was from the Council.

"Do it," I urged, knowing the outcome well, and this took her back. I smirked. "Pull the trigger and see what happens,"

"You'll get hurt. That's what happens," she snapped as if she couldn't believe I'd say that. She sounded riled on my behalf, which turned my smirk into a grin. No matter how much she pretended to be against our pairing, it was evident that the mating bond was affecting her in the same way it was affecting me. It always did. No one had ever been able to fight it successfully.

"Then hurt me... Veronica. Go on," I urged, dipping my head and whispering in her ear. Her breath hitched. I was having an effect on her, and it pleased me to know that, but I wasn't unaffected either. Feeling her warm body against mine had my heart ramming in my chest while the urge to claim her coursed through my veins. I needed her like air.

She looked hesitant, not moving a muscle in her body yet. The look of defiance prevailed in her eyes as she glared at me. Her chest rose and fell sharply against mine, making me more aware of our bodies pressed together and how much I was aching to close the remaining distance between us and capture her tempting lips.

"What happened, mate?" I asked, brushing my lips against her ear. She shuddered but remained silent. I took it forward and pressed a warm kiss where her jaw met her ear. A surprised gasp escaped her lips, and I felt her breasts move against my chest.

I turned us around until I had her caged against the table. Before she could say anything, I started placing small, heated kisses on her jaw and neck. The pulse on her neck was rapid, so I lingered there longer than I should, kissing, licking and dragging my tongue on the spot until she was breathless. Yet she didn't make any effort to move. Interesting....

Her scent was pulling me in like a thirsty man to an oasis. As much as I was doing this to tease her and see how far she allowed me, I had my urges driving me. The mating pull was there, and it was intense as fuck. There was no doubt about that.

I decided to push further and scarped my sharp canines against her skin. A delicious moan escaped her lips, making me freeze. But nothing could have prepared me for the sweet scent of her arousal slowly coating the air. My mouth watered as I filled my lungs with her intoxicating scent. I wanted to hear more of those moans. I wanted more of her sweet scent. I continued pressing my canines against her skin, teasing her.

Her body tensed against mine, and something metallic clanked around our feet. I didn't care to look what it was because soon enough, her hands were on me, exploring. Her hands snaked around my back before travelling up until her fingers were in my hair, fisting them.

I was about to break her skin when she yanked my head back with a strong jerk, taking me back, but I didn't move away yet. If anything, I pressed my body harder against her, wanting to feel all her curves.

A feral expression shrouded her face while she looked at me with dark, sultry eyes. She looked like she wanted to kiss me and kill me at the same time. I wouldn't mind either. I'd gladly accept whatever she had to give me. It'd be nothing less than a blessing to me.

"Keep your mouth off of me," she growled, her eyes burning fiercely on my lips. I chuckled.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked with a smirk, "You'd be missing out on a lot. Be careful what you ask for, Veronica," At my dark suggestion, she stared at my lips feverishly, making me feel weaker. Gladly, she glared at me before I could leap for her lips.

"I don't care," She gritted, tugging harder at my hair, "I'm not here for your mouth. I'm here for work," She snapped, her tone becoming more businesslike. Immediately, it irked me because it was part of her facade. I needed the real her.

"We're talking work," I reminded her.

"No, we are not!" She snapped, pushing me roughly. If anything, this made me sterner to have her. I was going to have her no matter what. Now that I knew what she tasted like, how she moaned when I played with her, how her body felt against me, how the scent of her arousal made my mouth water and how she stared at my lips heatedly, it'd be hard to let her go. Not that there was any choice to be made at all.

She had been chosen for me. That was the beginning and end of everything.

"Yes, we are," I stated grimly, standing taller and squaring my shoulders while I tacked her with my gaze, "I'll find that man, and you'll accept me as your mate. I want the whole thing with you, Veronica, and I wouldn't accept anything less from you. The deal is closed,"

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

thanks for reading<3