18.

-HER-

I couldn't believe that I did that. It was very unlike me. But it gave me a thrill and made my heart race even hours after Grim had left.

I couldn't tell if it was the kiss or the thrill, but it subdued my headache to a great extent. I showered after getting home, his unwanted thoughts plaguing my head without an end. No matter how much I tried to push his thoughts away, they all returned as if to haunt me... to taunt me.

I could still feel how his warm hand felt on my thighs, slowly edging up, making my core throb with hot need. If only I had allowed him to move upward and... I whimpered, touching myself. My clit was sensitive, and my folds were wet with my need.

I couldn't remember when was the last time I was so aroused by the thoughts of someone. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that I'd touch myself to the thoughts of an Underlord.

As much as I found the idea repelling, my body burned with need. It was as if some part had been sleeping and had awakened after a long time, searching for something forbidden. I stroked myself singlemindedly, with only one thing in my mind. I came completely undone as my release rocked me from the core, making my legs weak. I sunk to the floor, panting.

When the sexual high wore off, I was greeted with guilt and shame for pleasuring myself to the thoughts of the Underlord. If the council could read minds, I'd be the first one to be executed for doing something like this. It scared me— not the possibility of being executed by the council. No. It was the fact that he could arouse me with the slightest touch. It felt like I had no control left, and that in itself triggered a primal part of me.

Doing something like this wasn't my nature. It was my body's impulse taking over my rational thoughts—that's what I tried to tell myself as I finished showing. This was just the mate bond pulling my strings. In reality, I didn't want to do anything with Grim. At all. He was merely a distraction, a means to an end. That's all.

I tried to keep myself busy by making breakfast and doing paperwork for my other cases. I checked my email to find it flooded with Matt's messages. My heart was in my mouth as I read through them.

Matt: I haven't heard from you in a while. Did you meet him? Sent two days ago.

Matt: Hey, Veronica. Is everything alright? Why's your phone dead? Did you lose it? Sent one day ago.

Matt: I'll visit you in the evening if I don't get your response soon. Sent last night.

My breath hitched, and I sent a response to him immediately. After that, I started looking for my phone until I remembered that Gunner still had it with him. Not that it was a big issue. I had nothing important on that phone, but I still needed to get it back soon.

I kept looking through my emails when I noticed an email from an unknown source in my inbox.

Wear your best dress for me tonight.

That was all it read. Nothing more than that. I deleted it immediately and continued looking through the rest of my work emails.

Matt: Good lord! Finally got a response from you! I thought you were fucking dead. What happened to your phone? Sent five minutes ago.

Me: I lost my phone last week.

Matt: Did you meet him? His following message came fast and quick. I sat back, wondering how much I should tell him about my meeting with Grim. I couldn't tell him everything, of course. I didn't trust Matt to that extent.

Me: Yeah, but he's unsure if he wants to do it. I wrote back.

Matt: Did he name his price? Matt replied instantly.

Me: Not yet. I'm supposed to meet him soon. I'll let you know how it goes. I hit send and closed my laptop, unable to continue talking about this without panicking. I was afraid if I continued talking, then I might end up revealing something to him that I shouldn't.

I stayed away from my laptop and spent the rest of the day doing anything but thinking about work or Grim, and let me tell you... I failed miserably. It kept me angsty throughout the day.

Usually, in a situation like this, I turned to alcohol, but I didn't have anything at home. I didn't usually keep it around because it was easier not to get drunk that way, but in a tense situation like this, I needed it.

After some thought, I decided to go to the nearby store and get myself a bottle of wine. It was a quick trip, and I took a swing from it on the way and immediately hated the taste. It tasted nothing like the pomegranate wine I had with Grim last night. I didn't know why, but I didn't think I could ever like other drinks after tasting that.

I should've paid more attention when my front door was unlocked when I walked into my apartment. But I didn't. I was in my head, spiralling down chaos. Otherwise, I'd have noticed him sitting on my couch the first thing.

Either way, I noticed him after a few seconds. It was because of the way my wolf stirred, feeling excited. The same kind of excitement she had around Grim. I straightened up and stared at him in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my heart racing. I should've asked how he got inside, but I was afraid to know the answer. Grim sat on my couch like he owned the place, his arms stretched out on the channelled back of the couch, one of his legs elegantly folded on the other. He was in full tux, and his hair combed back slickly, giving him a regal and menacing look.

"Is that your best dress?" He asked.

"Huh?" I croaked, feeling lost, shocked and dumbfounded all at once.

"I told you to be ready in your best dress," He spoke, a hint of disappointment in his voice as he scanned me from head to toe. I was in my pyjamas, my top had a hole in the shoulder, and my hair was in a messy bun. I looked homeless after staying at home all day.

"You break into my house and dare comment on my appearance?" I squeaked, not able to find a defence. My brain was a mush when I needed it to work.

"I didn't break into your house," He spoke, an illegal amount of fineness in his movements as he stood up tall and slipped his hands in his coat pockets. I couldn't help but notice how mouthwatering he looked. "The door was unlocked. I just walked in," He shrugged.

"Same thing," I hissed, clutching the wine bottle, and his gaze immediately went there.

"Were you drinking?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

"None of your business. Why are you here?" I snapped, feeling irritated, distracted and... overwhelmed. Seeing him all dressed up like that wasn't helping me either.

"I wanted to take you out on a date," He told me with a charming smile, making my heart stutter.

"I don't want to go on a date," I told him upfront.

"You don't?" He asked, a sorry look on his face, "I guess you don't want to know the latest thing I found about Victor,"

I clenched my teeth and glared at him. He knew he had me.

~

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon along with other stories. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3