15.

-HER-

I regretted getting drunk. I had downed the whole bottle of pomegranate wine and was on the verge of asking Grim for another, but I held myself back. I was too vulnerable and exposed already. Everything I had done all night had been foolish yet... yet... I had never felt so free.

...or maybe it was the alcohol.

Yes, it was definitely the alcohol, I decided.

After the dinner, I didn't know what to do with myself. I wanted to go home, but Grim seemed to have other plans.

"You'll be staying here tonight," He told me. It wasn't a question but an order. I couldn't protest. It wasn't like I could walk out of there even if I wanted to. He had control over the whole situation, and I felt powerless.

"So that you could take me?" I tested, and he gave me an incredulous look.

"I'd never do that to you," he told me grimly. I didn't want to, but I believed that. He seemed honourable. Well, I hoped he was.

"Then why do I need to stay here tonight?" I asked.

"So I can get to know you more," He smiled, leading me away from the dining table.

"I'm tired," I yawned. "And drunk,"

"I noticed that," He spoke softly on my side, his hand safely placed on the small of a back, and that was the only thing I was aware of. I didn't know where he was taking me. He could've taken me to purgatory, and I'd have gone there with him, no questions asked.

But something made me stop. It was hard to miss and too interesting to ignore and not ask about it.

"What's that?" I asked him before he could take a turn towards a hallway. He froze beside me and looked ahead at the suit of armour peaking through a door. I didn't know what exactly about that thing caught my attention. I couldn't look away. The metal pieces were polished like mirrors.

"That's inside my office," he stated, turning me in that direction. He opened the door fully and let me inside. I walked inside freely, my eyes focused on the armour in the corner of the room.

"Great piece," I commented, stepping closer to it, and that's when I noticed the small writings on the edge of the metal plantings. I tried to read them, but it seemed to be an ancient language.

"It's the most important thing I own," Grim spoke behind me, something dark and heavy in his voice. But more than that, I felt his presence behind me, his hot breath fanning the back of my neck, making me shiver. I wanted to step away, but I didn't. I was enjoying his nearness. Well, fvck me.

I caught a glimpse of him on the polished metal surface. He was definitely behind me, but something dark surrounded us. Or maybe I was seeing things. I couldn't decide. His overpowering presence made it harder for me to focus.

"Where did you get it from?" I asked, keeping my tone casual.

"I made it a long time ago," He replied, his voice dreary.

"Wow, that's impressive. What else can you do?" I asked him innocently. He stepped closer behind me until his front was pressed against my back.

"I can show you," He whispered, his voice heavy with a sultry promise. I let out a low whimper, feeling the need for him thrum through my veins madly. I wanted to lean back against him until there was nothing between us.

My thoughts were instantly filled with how his hot mouth felt against my skin, nipping and teasing me. It made me pulse down there, and I clenched. My breath hitched, and I took a step forward. Everything in my body protested against that move. All it wanted was his warmth, his hot mouth and his caress. All of him. He was making it harder for me to trust myself.

"Why did you make this armour?" I decided to ask him instead to lift the dark cloud from around us. I didn't know what it was, but it seemed to put me in a trance. I glanced at his reflection on the metal. He watched me heatedly, but his expression changed as soon as he looked at the armour.

A haunting look crossed his face, but it was gone too soon. All the emotions drained out of his face until there was nothing left. He looked emotionless while the black of his pupils bled through the white in his eyes until they were completely pitch black. My breath hitched again, but for an entirely different reason. He looked lethal.

"To fight," He answered, his voice dark and heavier.

"Is armour combat your hobby?" I asked. I knew people liked those sorts of things, but something about the armour told me that it wasn't just for a hobby. It had been worn to actual wars, the bloody and deadly ones.

"Kind of," He muttered, sounding detached. "You must be tired," He commented, stepping closer to me again. I was feeling woozier with every passing second. When he wrapped his arm around me, I didn't fight him and gave into his touch, leaning against him and sighing heavily.

"I want to go home," I whispered, staring at our reflection in the polished metal armour. The darkness surrounding us was getting intense. It made me wonder if I was seeing things due to being exhausted and being drunk. I hadn't slept well last night.

"Not yet," He spoke huskily, his lips near my ear. "You must stay here for now," He steered me out of his office, but my legs seemed to be giving away. Nonetheless, he scooped me up. I wanted to protest, but it died in my throat as I looked at his beautiful face. I felt a sense of comfort wash over me as he took me down the hallway.

My eyelids grew heavier, and I was fighting the sleep that was fighting hard to conquer me. No. I wanted to stay awake. I wanted to talk more.

"Why?" I asked as he pushed open a door with his feet.

"Safety measures," He muttered, walking into a dark room. I saw a bed in the dim light. I should've protested, but I couldn't. I didn't have any energy left.

"Safe?" I asked as he gently set me down on the edge of the bed. I watched him with heavy eyelids as he kneeled before me and started undoing my shoes. My breath hitched as soon as he touched my feet. I shouldn't have found that rousing, but I did.

He smiled at me gently, something dark and gloomy in his eyes as he gently took my shoes off one by one.

"Yes. Your safety is my utmost priority," He told me, caressing my ankle. The sparks danced there before running up my legs and making my core throb with need. I whimpered.

"Who do I need to be safe from?" I asked, surprised. My eyes were about to shut close. The bed felt soft, warm and welcoming. But not as welcoming as Grim at the moment as he sat between my feet, caressing them. It was calming and arousing at the same time. I wanted to pull my legs away from him, but I didn't. I couldn't.

"The council," He answered darkly, and that was the last thing I remembered about the night.

~

What do you think he's talking about? Comment and let me know.

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3