20.

-HIM-

I clutched Veronica against my body while I fired at the man heading towards me with a gun. Gunner was out dealing with two other men. Everything around me was surrounded by chaos and gunfire, but the only thing that mattered to me was keeping Veronica out of harm's way.

I wasn't going to let her go. I needed to get her somewhere safe before dealing with this fuckers. They had taken me by surprise tonight, and I had to give it to them for catching me off guard. They couldn't have chosen a better time than this to get to me.

I should've been more careful, especially while with Veronica. But I got distracted... too much. I had never been this distracted before. It was dangerous, but a part of me loved it. I couldn't help staring at her. Even as I had her body pressed against mine and I fired nonstop at whoever came my way, I felt every bit of her against me.

My focus was flawed. When the explosion happened, I finally came back to my full senses. I guarded her with my body. This was a well-planned attack.

I didn't have to guess who might have conspired all this. Most probably one of my old enemies. I could quickly deal with them, but having Veronica with me worsened the situation. She was in danger, and the thought clouded my already distracted brain with uncontrollable anger.

It had been a while since I had felt blood singing in my ears, my heart pounding in my chest, and my vision turned red. This wasn't good, but the instinct to protect my mate overpowered everything.

When the explosion ended, I lifted myself, still holding Veronica down, to scan my surroundings. Dead bodies littered the place, and a couple of tables had caught fire. The place was filled with smoke. It was a good thing that we were on the roof instead of being stuck in a room filled with smoke.

I spotted Gunner holding someone down at the far edge of the room.

"Stay here," I growled, pushing Veronica under the table as I went from table to table to check for any other source of threat. This had been planned. I needed to interrogate the whole hotel staff to see who the fuck did this because I wasn't going to let them get anywhere.

"Is he alive?" I asked, approaching Gunner. His eyes slightly widened, looking at my inhumane eyes, but he nodded in response.

"Take him along with the rest of the bodies," I ordered, checking the exit. It had been blocked from the other side. I kicked the door open, rage coursing through my veins. I regretted shooting those bastards. I should've leapt at them and torn their throats apart while they cried for mercy. But I had to protect Veronica.

Veronica.

I went back to the table under which she had been hiding. I grabbed her arm and dragged her out of there, making her yelp. I needed to get her out of here and somewhere safe. Before she could say anything, I threw her over my shoulder and left. Veronica was tense under my touch, too stunned to speak.

The shock was still prominent on her face when I placed her in the passenger seat before getting back into my car. I tried to calm myself, but it didn't help when I reeked of blood and smoke— two of the most dangerous things for me.

I started the engine and stepped on the accelerator, driving away from the hotel at top speed, heading out of the city and towards my quiet home. The drive was silent. Awfully silent. I could hear our hearts racing, the tension thick enough to cut with a knife. Even when I reached my place, none of us moved. We sat in the car, parked inside my dark garage... waiting.

"Grim," she finally whispered, touching me as if to see I was real. That was all it took me to snap, finally. I reached out for her and pulled her into my lap, her legs on either side of me. Having her on my lap gave me a sense of security, but not enough to help me calm down.

"Kiss me," I demanded, my fingers digging into her hips as I tried to hold onto the last thread that held me together. I didn't want to lose control while with her. I could say that she was stunned and scared. The last thing I wanted to do was something that'd make her close off forever. I didn't want that, but at the same time, I needed something to calm down. I needed her.

"What happened to your eyes, Grim?" She asked, breathless. In the darkness, her eye rims glowed softly. Her lips were parted as her chest rose and fell against mine, breathing hard.

"I'm seeing red," I replied, my voice guttural. She gasped but didn't make an effort to move, and that was a good thing on her part because I wasn't sure how I'd have reacted to that.

"Calm down, Grim," she whispered, holding my face gently in her hands. Her warm touch wrapped my spine in wines of pleasure. I needed more of those touches everywhere on my body, every fucking day.

"I can't,"

"Why?" She asked, her voice a mere whisper. She tried to shift on my lap but ended up rubbing against the bump in my pants. "Fuck," she hissed, the faint scent of her arousal reaching my nose.

"Because they almost hurt you," I gritted, holding her closer. There was no use in being shy anymore. I shifted her until she was straddling my cock, getting right to the point. She squirmed initially but didn't dare move when my length poked her inner thigh. The scent of her arousal thickened, making my mouth water, yet this she-wolf wouldn't kiss me.

"But you saved me," She whispered, her lips right above mine. I wanted to close the distance between us and kiss her breath away. I wanted to do so many fucking things to her already that my hands were itching. "I'm safe," she whispered, pressing her lips close to my lips but not quite on them.

This instantly replaced my anger with frustration. Not that I didn't like her silly games, but tonight, my patience was thinner than hair.

"Kiss me on the lips," I demanded. She pulled back slightly to give me a challenging look.

"Just because you're angry doesn't make you entitled to a kiss," She spoke fiercely, poking a firm finger in my chest. If anything, this made me harder for her. I chuckled darkly, my voice not sounding like my own.

"Then tell me what does?" I asked, deeply curious this time. I genuinely wanted to know what'd earn me a kiss from her. A proper kiss. Not the ones she gave me until now. They were enough to stroke my imagination but not enough to calm my wolf.

"Let's get out of here first. We can talk about it all night," She offered, patting my chest gently.

Talk all night? Well, that's something. Not exactly what I was looking for but still something from someone as closed off as her.

~

Ooo... they're surely going to talk a lot. Lol, what so you think this talk would be about? Commen!

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3