35.

-HER-

"Hello there," I'm Karrson. Grim's best friend," The man introduced himself. I could sense right away that he wasn't human. A brief flash of red in his eyes proved so, and to add to it, I caught a glimpse of his slightly sharper canines when he offered me a smile. I sucked a breath, realising what he was.

A Dhampir.

I studied him for a second, unsure what to make of him. However, I was sure of one thing— he had to be an Underlord if he was affiliated with Grim.

"My name is Veronica," I replied, choosing not to say more than that. I stole a glance at Grim standing behind him in the hallway, and my heart skipped a beat. Grim's eyes were pitch black, and a feral expression shrouded his face as he stared at Karrson with blood lust.

Karrson glanced at the two of us, somehow not bothered by the dangerous look on Grim's face and whistled.

"I hope I didn't interrupt something," He commented, shooting me a suggestive look. I straightened up, and Grim's expression turned darker and more lethal. If I were Karrson, I'd wish I could dissolve in the thin air at that moment. But the man didn't seem to be bothered about Grim at all. Either Karrson trusted Grim or didn't care enough about him. Whatever it was, I knew Karron was someone I had to be extremely careful with.

"No, we were just talking," I choked out. However, Karrson didn't look that convinced by my answer. He gave me a look that said he knew Grim and I were more than talking.

"Why are you—" Grim was about to ask when Karrson interrupted. "That's great. I love to talk too! Grim isn't much of a talker because something crawled up his ass a long time ago—"

"—I will kill—"

"—but that's okay. Let's talk, you and me because you look interesting. It's not every day Grim brings women into his house, and when he does, things seem to blow up—

"—shut the fuck—

"—Is this your first time here?" Karrson asked, completely ignoring the murderous man behind him. Grim was looking ready to tear this dhampir into shreds. I shuddered. I must've lost my mind to have challenged him in this state because it was as clear as the day I'd never be able to outrun him. He'd have come after me and had his way with me.

I swallowed hard, thinking about it. The thought didn't disturb me as much as it should've, and that was a disturbing thing in itself.

Did I want Grim to come after me and have me, or was it my wolf's irrational primal need? I couldn't decide, and that scared me. I should've been scared when he threatened me after trapping me against the door, but I wasn't scared at all. Instead, his threat stirred something profound and fucked up inside me— the desire to be hunted and claimed like they used to do in the old days.

Maybe it was because the intensity of his need indicated that the bond wasn't fake, that he was willing to do anything to have me. It threatened that eternal feeling of abandonment I carried from the first day. The way he seemed to want me, no matter what, somehow elicited a forbidden hope inside me. The hope that this was real and somehow we could be together for real.

No, that was never going to happen. Ever.

"Kind of," I replied, and Karrson beamed at me.

"Is that so? I don't see any drinks in your hand. Where are your manners, Grim?" Karrosn scoffed at Grim before placing his hand on the small of my back and leading me to the drawing room. "Have you ever tasted pomegranate wine? It tastes like ambrosia. Grim's sister is the best brewer of the drink," Karrson told me, offering me a seat as if I were in his house. Grim trailed after us with a dark look on his face. "You should taste it. It's amazing and helps you loosen up pretty quickly," Karrson continued as he opened the fridge by the small bar and poured two drinks casually.

"Thanks," I mumbled as he handed me a drink. I gulped it down quickly because of my dry throat. However, it did nothing to ease the tension. Instead, it seemed to have turned it up a notch. I could still feel Grim's eyes on me, waiting... waiting for me to run away so he could pursue me.

"How does it taste?" Karrson asked, sitting beside me and draping his arm at the back.

"Yeah, it's quite good," I replied politely. It felt like I was walking a tightrope. "Thanks for the drink,

"You're welcome," Karrson offered me a charming smile, "So Veronica, what brought you to my friend's house?" He asked, taking a sip of his drink. I glanced briefly at Grim, standing at the living room's entrance. His eyes were still pitch black, and a feral look hung on his face. I ignored him for a second and focused on this Karrson dhampir. He seemed to be in a mood to talk, which was always great for me as an investigator. I loosened up a bit and smiled at him.

"Oh, just for work purposes. How long have you known Grim?" I asked.

"Grim? I have known him since forever. I don't even remember how long. That's how good friends we are," He grinned. There was something boyish about him that was somewhat charming.

"We're not friends," Grim growled behind us, but we ignored him and continued.

"What work is it, may I ask?" Karrson asked politely, but there was a hint of something scheming in his eyes. It made me hesitate momentarily, but I decided not to talk anymore. You ought to give some information to gain some in return. Taking risks was part of the game.

"Yes, he's helping me look for a missing person," I replied, and it shot his eyebrows to his hairline.

"A missing person, you say? You should've come to me, Veronica. I'm the best at finding missing things and people," Karrson replied.

"Oh really?" I asked in surprise.

"Keep out of it, Karrson," Grim growled again, but we ignored him. I scooted in closer to Karrson, taking all the risks I could take in one fucking night. I could immediately sense the air thickening with tension while something interesting gleamed in Karrson's eyes.

"What will you take to find me a missing person?" I asked darkly, leaning in a bit. I could feel Grim's eyes following me intently, which excited me.

"That shouldn't be the question, sweetheart," Karrson answered in a sultry tone, "The question is what can you offer,"

Before I could answer, Grim had Karrson's head in a headlock, and in the next moment, they were wrestling each other on the ground. 

~

Read the next 20 chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Thanks for reading <3