26.

-HIM-

I noticed when she pulled her walls high and immediately changed the topic. It puzzled me. All I had said was that I liked being generous with her because she was my mate. I wondered if calling her my mate offended her somehow.

She told me the first night that she found the concept of mates ridiculous, making me wonder why. We wolves cherished our mates because they were the most important thing to us, but she seemed to think differently.

I wanted to talk to her about it, but she brought up Victor. I caved in and gave her the information I had found on him. After all, I had promised her that in return. The date had been unpredictable, but it was memorable. Every second that I spent between her legs, lapping up her nectar, it felt like I was in heaven. That was better than any fine dining experience.

I wanted to experience that again. Just thinking about it made me feel hot. I was so lost in her pleasure that I had forgotten mine. My cock was still hard, begging for attention. However, I ignored it, seeing the stern look on her face.

After dinner, she looked tired, and I let her go to sleep. Meanwhile, I took a chilling shower to calm myself down and think everything through. Tonight was the most eventful night of my life. There was no doubt in that, and I needed to find out who dared to attack me. It has been on my mind ever since.

I knew Gunner was already at work while I was dealing with Veronica. After I showered, I went into my office and called him, ready to do some digging. There was no way I would fall asleep tonight after everything that happened.

The residue from the adrenaline rush was still in my veins, making my heart pound and preparing my body for the action. Being with Veronica had only calmed me partially.

"Did you find anything?" I asked Gunner as soon as he picked up the call.

"Yeah," He sounded somewhat uncertain on the other side, intriguing me, "They were some cheap hires by one of the Godwick Lords. No particular names so far, but you can guess who it is,"

I ground my teeth, listening to Gunner. Godwick Lords have been an ancient source of pain in my ass. However, I was surprised that they had chosen to attack me openly. This wasn't how they worked. They usually found other ways to sabotage me.

"Is it a Godwick himself? Our new lordling?" I asked. Ever since there had been a shuffle in the line of inheritance among the Godwick's line, things had gotten somewhat interesting. One of the new Godwick Lords was Karrson. He was a piece of work that needed to be studied. I wouldn't be surprised if tonight's attack were his doing. He seemed like the kind who'd do something so bold yet stupid.

"I hope not," Gunner sighed; I could hear the annoyance in his voice. Karrson might be a lordling, but dealing with him would be a headache if he ended up being the one to have plotted the attack. However, I wasn't going to let him get away with it. He could've gotten my mate hurt, especially with those cheap men he hired.

"I didn't know he was cheap like that," I commented, "Is there a drought in the Gidwick coffers?"

"Their lords are whoring like they owe money to the Night Court. But tonight, it was one of them. What do you want me to do next?" He asked.

"Bring him to me," I gritted, "I'd like to have a word with him,"

"Understandable," Gunner chuckled, "And how's our new Lady of the Darkmount holding up?" He asked with a suggestive tone. He was talking about my mate.

"She was in shock, but now she's sleeping," I sighed.

"Bah, did you sing her a lullaby?" He asked, and I fought a growl. He was pulling my leg, and I'd have laughed in his face at any other time, but my blood was boiling tonight.

"I'll sing you one when you return; how about that?" I offered, and he laughed darkly.

"That sounds tempting, but I'd like my jaw and nose intact. I'll see what the Godwicks are cooking up and update you tomorrow," He promised me. I grunted and disconnected the call.

I leaned back in my chair and thought about the whole situation. Even if it was Karrson who conspired this, what could be his reason? Yeah, Godwicks liked to get on my nerves occasionally, but doing something like this meant there was a serious intent, and I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of Veronica.

Did the Godwicks figure out I've met my mate, and this was their attempt at harming me through her? The thought of this was enough to start making me see red.

No, I couldn't jump to the conclusions yet. I needed to wait and see what Gunner managed to find. Until then, I had a lot of my own shit to deal with... especially with all the missing souls.

I opened the drawer I kept locked at all times and pulled out the scroll that had the Underworld's emblem on it. I unrolled it and read the names of people who were dead, but somehow, their souls couldn't be found. At first, it had been a case of simple misreporting, but lately, the list of names has been growing.

More and more people died, and their souls somehow went missing. Even the Grim Reapers couldn't find them. Finally, the King of the Underworld had entrusted me to discover why so many souls were suddenly going missing. It was a peculiar phenomenon; every time I thought about it, a chill ran down my spine.

The longer the souls spent away from the Underworld, the more powerful and evil they grew. It got to the point that catching them and dragging them back to the Underworld became an excruciating task. The more the number of such souls grew, the harder it got to get a hold of them. The longer they spent time in this real, lingering as per their whims, the more damage they caused... but still, someone must've reported them or even seen them, but no. It was as if the souls had disappeared into thin air, which was more frightening than anything.

~

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. The link is in my bio. 

Thanks for reading <3