11.

-HER-

"I've been told you require payment for your service," I stated. I knew I was being too upfront and confrontational with this, but I needed to know. Especially because he was my mate. I needed to get it out in the clear; otherwise, things would go wrong.

"That I do," He nodded, his scorching gaze trained on me. That was an answer in itself, and I could already start to guess what he was seeking in return. He didn't have to say it. I could read it in his eyes. I could feel it in the air between us that buzzed with tension.

I knew what exactly he wanted, and that was the problem. But first, I needed to hear it from him out loud. If he stated his price and I didn't like it, I could always turn it down and leave. It would be as simple as that, and I was hoping for that.

"And what is it?" I urged, impatient. I wanted to end it and leave already. I wanted to leave before I could make a foolish decision and get myself into something that I'd regret later. Coming here was already a stupid enough decision in itself.

He smiled at me as if he could read my thoughts."We can always discuss business later. Let's have dinner first," He spoke, and just in time, the chef walked in with the starters.

I clenched my teeth from making a frustrated noise. His eyes remained on me, studying every single detail. I didn't fail to notice how the side of his lips slowly turned up into a smirk when I struggled to find a response to that.

He knew I was trying to rush it through, but he would take his time. And it wasn't like I could leave this place by myself. Looking at him, I had a feeling that even if I tried to leave, he wouldn't allow me. Suddenly, I remembered my gun. I could always put up a fight, but... the chances of that ending in my favour were slim.

I had only one option— sit through dinner and bear his attention. I needed to be more flexible and diplomatic to get out of here. But despite all that, deep down, I knew that I wasn't leaving this place anytime soon because of how he looked at me.

"It's not much," He stated, nodding at the dishes while the chef served us, "I tried my best in the short notice,"

"It's great," I commented, glancing at the food briefly. I recognised the expensive steak, but apart from that, the rest of the dishes looked unfamiliar— it didn't matter. I was not there for a date.

"It'd have been better if you had not left yesterday." He jabbed. I straightened up and gave him a stern look.

"It was a work emergency, and I had to leave," I defended.

"How did you know?" He asked, his voice sharp.

"My colleague called me—"

"Your phone is with me," he said, shutting me.

"I have another phone," It took me a couple of seconds to come up with this excuse, and it made me feel vulnerable. I could tell he didn't buy it because he gave me an amused smile that brought out a small dimple. I tried not to stare too much at him, or else I was afraid I'd start to find him irresistibly handsome. Nonetheless, I was struggling with that already.

"You don't have to lie to me," He said, his eyes softening slightly.

"I'm not lying to you," I said quietly.

"You're also pretty darn defensive," He cut me again, "Are you usually like this or is it because you found out you've been paired with an Underlord?" He asked, clear and straightforward. The previous amused look was gone from his eyes, and now he looked serious.

"I'm here for Victor Stein," I stated, being as obvious as I could, "I don't want to do anything beyond that," I said firmly, not caring if I sounded like a demanded bitch. He was trying to push my boundaries, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it out loud.

If anything, he cocked an eyebrow at me and stared at me for a full, tensely silent minute. His Jaw was clenched, and a muscle in it was ticking away. A part of me wanted to see the dimple back on his left cheek. At that moment, I preferred that sweet dimple over the levelled look he had trained on me.

"How far are you willing to go to find Victor Stein?" He asked, his voice low and freezing. His face was void of all emotions as he stared at me, anticipating a response. I was missing his dimple even more.

However, this switch in his demeanour made me wonder if it resulted from my asserting my boundaries with him. If so, then that already gave me a hint of what kind of relationship he had to offer if I were ever to be with him (that would never happen, but still).

"I can compensate you—"

"I'm not talking about money," He dismissed quickly.

"Then what is it?" I asked, pushing it further because it seemed like the perfect opportunity to get it all out in the open. I didn't want to leave anything hanging and let that create confusion later.

"What are you willing to risk to find Victor Stein," He asked, his tone sharper and chilling than ever. I shifted in my seat, feeling somewhat overwhelmed by his gaze. It wasn't that he was making me uncomfortable with it. No. Instead, it was me— I was afraid. Afraid to be seen. I had never been seen the way he did.

I thought about his question because it was a loaded one. The answer was tough. I needed to find Victor Stein, or else I'd lose everything. There was nothing I was unwilling to do to get him back, but the person I was dealing with was none other than my mate. He held more cards than me at the moment.

I licked my lips, nervous. My heart was beating a hundred miles per hour. The room was silent to the point that I could hear my own racing heart.

"Anything," I whispered. I needed to find Victor Stein anyhow. If I didn't, then I'd be left with nothing. That was a terrifying thought for me. Somehow, more frightening than being mated to an Underlord.

Grim's eyebrows shot to his hairline, and he nodded, leaning back. His eyes never left me. For a moment, it felt like he was seeing through me. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

"Then you know what I want," He stated, sharp and clear.

"What?" I asked anyway.

"You,"

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

thanks for reading<3