12.

-HER-

I sucked in a breath and froze. I had been anticipating this, but that one word hit me like a wall of bricks. I wasn't prepared enough for it. Well, I doubted if I could've ever prepared enough for it.

Finding out that I was paired with an Underlord was jarring enough. I had yet to recover from the shock I felt when I saw him for the first time last night.

"No," I muttered. He finally broke the terrifying, stony expression and offered me a smile.

"It's too late for a no," He told me. I straightened up. At this point, it felt like I was going to spend the rest of the night stiff like a rod.

"Wha-how? When did that happen?" I asked, astonished.

"It's simple," He shrugged. "You're here. We've got this amazing dinner and I've agreed to look for Victor Stein. The deal has been made," He declared, raising his cup in my direction and siping.

I remained still. I hadn't touched anything so far and doubted if I'd do that. I didn't trust him enough. What if he drugged my food? But then again, the chef had served us from the same plate. Anyhow, I wasn't here to eat.

"I never said I agreed to your skewed payment plan," I hissed, making him chuckle.

"Payment plan," He echoed, "Of course, I forgot. Let's seal the deal with a kiss," He offered, getting up from his chair. I gasped.

"I'll never kiss you. Sit down," I shot back quickly before he could take a step towards me. Something dangerous flashed in his eyes before he sat back with a blinding smile.

"I'll earn a kiss from you soon," He promised. I glared at him. "You haven't touched anything," He noticed, "You don't have to worry about being drugged. I don't stoop that low... usually," He muttered the last bit to himself.

"I need to be clear on this first," I tried to steer the conversation back to the important topic.

"Clear about what?" He asked. "The stake is great, by the way. You should try it," He urged again, but I ignored him and continued.

"What exactly do you expect out of me? And for how long?" I asked, keeping my tone careful. Under the table, my feet were growing cold as I waited for him to answer.

He gave me a teasing smile. "I can show you," He offered, and I sucked in another breath, on the verge of bursting out of over-breathing (if there was even such a thing).

"I'm serious about it. I want to clarify everything," I stated firmly, levelling him with a stern look. Abruptly, he stood up and stalked towards me. He was beside me before I could get up and dash towards the stairs. He was faster than most wolves, I couldn't help but notice that.

"Wha—" I was about to ask, but he held my hand and tugged it, urging me to stand up. But all I could focus on was the overwhelming wave of sparks that washed over me as soon as he touched me. He was still holding my hand, and it felt like I was being charged with electricity.

"Veronica," He stated, stepping closer and putting an arm around me. I was too stunned to speak or push him back. I was utterly captivated by him.

My wolf stirred, joyed to be close to him after all my attempts to push him away. I wanted to pry his arms off my body, but instead of that, I was completely frozen and looking deep into his dark eyes.

Up this close, I noticed that his eyes weren't as dark as they appeared from a distance. There was some warmth to it, a few golden flicks in his irises that seemed more prominent as I looked at them. But beyond that, something else in the eyes pulled me in like a black hole.

"You do not want to accept me as your mate," He stated, his voice sharp and his words to the point. "Why is that?"

"Isn't it obvious?" I returned. "You're an Underlord, and I'm from the Council,"

"A match made in heaven," He shot.

"I don't want to do this," I hissed.

"You don't have a choice," He was sharp and straightforward now. Gone were his diplomatic ways and that dimple. Again, I was missing it. I'd much rather have that over his grim, intimidating face as he searched mine. "You are my mate, and we're going to be together regardless of the case,"

I glared at him... or tried to. I was close to busting into flames. I'd have done that if such a thing was possible.

"Then what's next? Are you going to mark me against my will? Force yourself on me until I give up?" I asked, blinking tears. I didn't want to, but it came out of nowhere. I wanted to resist it, resist him, and I was trying my darn best but... but... I hated how secure his arms made me feel despite being an Underworld. I was sick even to feel that way regardless of the mate bond.

His eyes softened, and his arms tightened around me. The stern expression was gone from his face and was replaced by a thoughtful one.

"I didn't mean that," He clarified, his voice a whisper. "I don't understand why you'd think it'd be temporary. You do know what being mated means?" He asked.

"I'm well aware of it, and it doesn't mean anything to me. Just because we are biologically compatible doesn't mean we're soulmates," I growled, trying to push him back, but I failed. I didn't want to look back into his dark, enticing eyes and get lost in them again until he made his next move.

"What?" He asked, taken back.

"I don't believe in mates even if we are paired together. Being mates doesn't mean shit. It's not permanent. It's a bunch of woo-woo stuff that fucks people up in the long term," I spat, feeling the bitterness from the past creeping in.

My words seemed to puzzle him further. His face was contemplative, as if he was trying to understand my words deeply.

"Now let me go," I hissed, making another attempt to tear his arms off of my waist, but nothing happened. He didn't budge a bit.

"Are you sure you're talking about the same stuff as I?" He asked.

"I'm, and now, let me go or—"

"Or what?" He dared. I slipped my shotgun out of the hidden fold of my skirt and poked it in his stomach.

"Or I pull the trigger," I warned.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

thanks for reading<3