8.

-HER-

I went back to the casino the next night. I had prepared for the worst and hoped for the best, but this didn't help my uneasiness. This was not entirely due to the Underlord I would meet (if he still wanted to meet me). I was also afraid I'd run into my mate again.

I entered the casino and went down to the club. It was just as packed as last night, and I immediately felt repulsed by the dense air when I stepped inside.

I was on full alert as I walked to the bar, looking at everyone around to ensure I didn't run into my mate again. Seeing him again would be a disaster- he was the last person I ever wanted to see.

I tried not to think about him too much as I went to the bar. Instantly, I spotted the tattooed bartender named Jeremy. He was busy serving some customers, but as soon as he noticed me, he stopped and cocked an eyebrow at me. His face had a dark look, and it didn't make me feel any easier. He watched me like a hawk as I took my seat, trying to act as if I was there to enjoy myself.

"Can I have a Black Storm?" I ordered, acting normal, but he looked at me as if I were there to rob him.

"In love with this place already?" he asked, leaning over the counter and invading my personal space. I knew he was doing this to intimidate me, but I maintained my calm.

"Maybe," I shrugged, acting aloof. He gave me another lingering dissecting look before turning away to make my drink. I scanned the place around me again, looking for Gunner or the unfortunate man who was my mate. Fortunately or unfortunately, none of them seemed to be there. I felt deeply disappointed.

"What brought you here tonight?" he asked, setting the drink before me. His question was loaded, and I knew I needed to answer carefully or else I could get into massive trouble. I didn't want that. I was already in enough trouble- I was actually swimming in trouble- and I could definitely avoid more trouble for the sake of trouble.

I took the drink and sipped from it. It helped my dry mouth. I cleared my throat and looked at him. He was still standing there, waiting, with something dark and dangerous flickering in his eyes.

"Is Gunner here?" I asked. He cocked an eyebrow at me.

Instead, he asked, "Do you need him to be here?" I could tell he was mocking me.

"It'd be nice if he's here," I replied. He gave me another unsettling lingering look before walking away and attending to the other customers. I scanned my surroundings again before sipping from my drink. I sat there and waited for a while, watching Jeremy serve the customers.

It was a good distraction, but I could still feel my stomach twisting painfully. At one point, I couldn't finish my drink. Still, Jeremy refused to acknowledge my existence. I wondered if he'd notice if I left without paying. I was contemplating it when I felt a presence behind me.

It almost made me jump out of my skin, but I felt slightly relieved when I turned around and saw Gunner. However, that relief was short-lived and soon replaced by dread.

I smiled at him innocently and said, "I was waiting for you,"

In response, he held my arm and tugged me up. I stood up on cue before he tugged me away from the bar and towards the lift. I felt my blood cooling down as the lift went to the casino.

"I'm sorry I left yesterday—" He flicked his leather-gloved hand dismissively, not looking interested in any explanation. I didn't know if it should've relieved or distressed me. I decided to go with the latter.

"Is your Lord still willing to meet me?" I couldn't help but ask as the lift's doors dinged open at the casino. He placed his hand on the small of my back, just like last night, before leading me out of the casino.

"He had been waiting for you," he said as he helped me get into the same black car he had picked me up in last night.

I swallowed hard after taking a seat. I was sweating like an iceberg as he took the seat beside me. I fiddled with my fingers, trying to keep calm as the driver pulled away from the casino's front and got onto the highway leading outside the city.

Immediately, I hated it. I felt more foolish. Meeting at the club yesterday would have been much better than wherever he took me tonight. I could tell that it was somewhere remote. Somewhere, no one would go looking for me if I failed to show up to work the following week. It made my heart palpitations worse.

"Er... can I have my phone back?" I asked, feeling out of control.

"No," He snapped.

"Where are we going tonight?" I dared to ask.

"You don't have to know," His answer was a curt bark.

This was a form of kidnapping, and there was nothing I could do to get out of it. Why? Because I had chosen that, I must have been foolish to choose this over Fiona's threats. Not that her threats were empty, but whatever she had planned for me, I was sure a painful death wasn't an option.

She had promised to strip me off my ranks and maybe blacklist me. That wasn't death... not in the literal sense. That'd be a slow death, too, but a different kind, and the more I pondered about it, the more pathetic I felt about my life.

I had gotten myself in this shit. Whatever awaited me at the dreaded destination, I needed to face that alone. It almost felt like this was my judgement day, and I was being taken to see the lord. Well... I didn't like how this analogy seemed too fitting for my situation.

I licked my lips and decided to ask this last question. The answer wouldn't change anything anyway.

"Do I die tonight?" I asked, staring at him on the other side of the seat. I expected another curt response, but he gave me a devilish smile instead.

"Yes, but not in a way you'd think," He replied.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 20+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

thanks for reading<3