Not your fault (renya and Killjoy)

The empress found the engineer on the top of a fallen building, looking over the ruins of Venice, a city that had the unfortunate meeting with the spike. There was a huge hole where the center of the city used to sit, with pieces floating in the air, suspended with the radiant that got free.

For once she didn't see the cocky engineer as the annoying brat she usually was. When she looked over Killjoy she saw a worried, scared child, who was in over her head with trying to get information to stop the spike. "Little rat let's go." Renya said harshly glaring at the engineer to mask her worry, but when Killjoy didn't move, renya moved forward again. The slumped form of the engineer didn't even flinch, not seeming to hear her approach or shuffle to sit next to the usually bubbly engineer.

"The city didn't even have the chance.." was the first thing out of the engineers mouth, which surprised the empress slightly. "Yea, well that's what happens when we can't stop the spike. Better find out how to before this happens to the next little rat." Reyna immediately felt bad over the very hostile tone she had agaisnt the engineer, who flinched and nodded meekly. "Listen Killjoy, I'm sorry for being overly mean and picking on you so roughly.."

"I understand why.. I didn't know until I found the files.. but my machines were used to hurt your hometown.. I had no idea. I thought they were using my machines for good, they kept telling us it was for the good of the planet.. but all those inn-innocent people, mothers, fathers, daughters, sons... they didn't deserve th-that.." it was obvious it weighed very heavy on the engineer, who hid her face from view as she tried to frantically stop the tears, her body tense as she waited for a scoff, and Reyna to tell her to get herself together. Though froze as warm arms wrapped around her. Turning her head slightly, it confirmed the hair of the empress, and after a second of trying to figure out if this was a trick, the engineer hugged back, the dam breaking and Reyna felt her shoulder growing wet.

Despite hating the fact that the engineer was dirtying her shoulder, she didn't move until slowly the engineer went from cries to silent sniffles. When Reyna noticed that the tears stopped she pulled away enough to see Killjoys face. "It's okay Pequeña ingeniera, your not to blame and I know that now, I'm so sorry for treating you so harshly when you didn't deserve it, but allow me to make up for it." Killjoy just looked over Reyna's face with bloodshot eyes, the glasses giving her a puppy look as she studied the empress face for any signs of betrayal. When she found none she just nodded and allowed Reyna to gently wrap her into a hug again. Smiling gently against the empress's shoulder she let her eyes close, falling asleep after so many late nights of trying to figure out how to stop the spike, finally catching up to her.

When Sage saw Reyna holding a limp Killjoys in her arms she was immediately concerned that the engineer hurt herself somehow, though after noticing no wounds or blood, but faint tear tracks she relaxed. "What happened?" Sage asked as Reyna took a seat on the vulture, and feeling it take off as soon as the ramp was closed. Reyna Settled Killjoys against the seats, letting the engineer use her lap as a pillow so her neck wouldn't hurt. "We just worked through trauma Sage. She is fine." Sage nodded, not fully content with the answer but allowing it for now, heading to the front where Brimstone was flying the Vulture. When Killjoy shuffled slightly in her sleep, Reyna immediately went to calm her, seeing the young engineer in a new light.
"Rest little hermosa.. your safe I promise.."