Pinky Promise (1/3)

As the first rays of the morning sun spilled through the window, casting a gentle and warm glow on the walls of the room, the young man on the bed remained deep in his slumber. The room remained bathed in the serene silence, the only sounds being the chirping of the birds and leaves rustling gently coming from the window. The calm and steady breathing of the young man added to the peaceful atmosphere.

Soon the sound of the alarm filled the room, breaking through the welcoming silence. The man, named Shubman, let out a sleepy whine before sitting up on the bed. Heaving a deep sigh, he turned off his alarm. He grabbed his phone from the bedside table, checking any new messages. He read the message from his manager, informing him of his flight to Hyderabad at 12:00 pm. He checked if he has any messages from the team group before putting his phone away.

18th July. Shubman's eyes caught the date on the calendar. It was his birthday. A smile pulled Shubman's lips, but his eyes remained sad. For a long time he sat there, staring at the lily of the valley in his balcony. The delicate white, bell-shaped flowers symbolizing the longing and yearning in his eyes for that certain someone. It has been 15 years since he last saw him.

Shubman had a friend, his best friend Ishan, when he was a kid. He lived just beside his house, though he was a year older than Shubman, they were practically inseparable. They played, ate and did everything together. That was until one day shubman returned from his vacation with his family to find the house beside theirs empty. Ishan and his family had shifted. Little Shubman was heartbroken. Ishan has left a letter for him, with a promise to come back to him, to his Shubman. Shubman closed his eyes, letting out a shaky exhale, he whispered,

"Did you forget your promise, ishu?"

-
Flashback
-

"How much more will it take to reach home, papa?"

6-years-old Shubman was practically beaming with excitement to reach his home. They were coming back from a family vacation. Though he enjoyed it to the fullest, he was missing his best friend. He couldn't wait to meet him and it was his best friend's birthday today. He is going to surprise him.

His father chuckled at his son's excitement, "Just half an hour more, baccha. We need to buy a cake for Ishu too, right?"

"Yes, we will buy the chocolate one. Ishu loves chocolate."

Shubman said with a very bright smile, his dimples making an appearance, eyes almost closing because of his bright smile. His parents and sister couldn't help being endeared at his cuteness. Soon they reached their home with the cake. Shubman ran towards Ishan's house as soon as the car stopped, his family following after him. His smile dropped as soon as he saw the big lock at the front door.

"Papa, mumma, the door is locked. Where is ishu?"

Shubman asked, visibly saddened by this. His mother tried to comfort him, " Baby, they must have gone out. They'll come back after a while. Let's go home till then. Come."

A neighbour saw them standing outside the house, he shouted from across the street, "Paaji, they shifted from here a week ago."

"Wait, what? Really? Shifted? but where?"

"Yeah, but I don't really know where though." He said before going back to whatever he was doing.

Shubman who had heard this immediately felt tears forming in his eyes, his lips wobbled as he tried to hold his tears. "Will I never see ishu again, di?" He whispered, tears already leaking across his cheeks. His older sister, Shahneel, quickly pulled him in a hug, trying to comfort her brother.