Pinky Promise (2/3)

Main agar sitaaro se chura ke laau roshni
Hawaaon se chura ke laau ragini
Na poori ho sakegi unse magar teri kami

Now it has kind of been a norm that every song Shubman listens to, it reminds him of Ishan, his best friend, in one way or another. Moments of their childhood always plays infront of his eyes in a hazy yet vividly vibrant way. Yesterday after leaving the table abruptly, Shubman had just stayed in his room for the rest of the day, even having his dinner there. He was feeling crushed with his inner turmoil. At the end he ended up doing what he always do whenever he's feeling disturbed. Calling his sister.

"Don't overthink it, Shubi. He might or might not be your Ishan, but don't you think it's worth asking?"

"I don't know, di. I'm- I'm scared."

"About what, baccha?"

"I don't know why but I felt a spark of hope. I don't want to ask him and shatter all of my hopes. It's just- I don't know. I don't know anything, I'm confused." He had been extremely frustrated with everything and it had shown. Shahneel had smiled warmly at him, reminding him that she is there with him, always.

"I know it can be overwhelming, baccha. Take your time to process everything first, don't rush it. We'll figure it out, okay? Aur Baba ji hai na, vo sambhal lenge(and Baba ji is here, right? He will take care of it.)"

Even though Shubman is still a little overwhelmed about this, verbalizing his inner turmoil to her had helped him ground a bit. While getting ready for breakfast and then morning practice, he decided to not think about anything for now. They have a match coming and he needs to focus on that for now. Everything else can wait. Or can it?

-

When Shubman reached the dining area, the whole team was already present there. Muttering a good morning to all of them, he grabbed the seat beside Shreyas. Siraj and ishan were sitting nearby as well.

"Hey, Shubman. Are you alright?" Shreyas questioned. He was kinda worried about him, but he didn't approaching him yesterday because he wanted to give him some space.

"Haa, bhai. Mujhe kya hua? (What happened to me?)

"Nahi (no), it's just you looked a little stressed yesterday so I was a bit worried."

Shubman smiled, "Don't worry, bhai. I'm okay."

"Hmm, but you know you can tell me anything right?"

Shubman chuckled softly, "I know."

Ishan, who was looking at him felt his breath getting stuck in his throat. That smile. Ishan was right, he does look absolutely mesmerising with a smile. Those dimples might as well clarify him for the most beautiful human on the planet. "Your Shubi has dimples as well." His brain whispered. Ishan inhaled a sharp breath, averting his eyes to his food. He has been going bonkers thinking about this whole ordeal. There are so many chances that he is not his Shubman. Ishan had met many people named Shubman in the past, everytime he got hopeful only to be met with disappointment.

Maybe I should ask him, but what if- oh please Ishan, please stop and just eat for now. For God's sake. He shook his head, frustrated with his brain for presenting him with all the goddamn what if's in the world.