sixteen

it was valentine's day morning and billie woke up, without her eyes opened though. she reached over to her nightstand feeling for her phone.

she groaned not being able to feel it. she opened her eyes in confusion.

she started scrambling in bed looking for it. when she couldn't find it she left her room.

"hey has anyone seen my-" "SURPRISE"

billie furrowed her eyebrows. maggie, patrick, finneas, claudia and zoe were standing there with a bunch of valentine's day themed treats.

billie laughed. "what is this? my birthday?"

"not quite" maggie answered. billie went to sit down at the countertop table with the rest of them.

"we just felt bad because you don't have anyone to celebrate valentine's day with" maggie said. billie frowned jokingly.

"you guys didn't have to do this i'm fine" billie said. "yeah we just wanted to" zoe said rubbing billie's back. billie leaned on zoe's shoulder.

"oh and here's your phone" finneas said. "we knew we couldn't get you out the room voluntarily so we came up with that"

everyone laughed. as soon as billie got her phone she unlocked it and went to messages.

"alright guys let's dig in" maggie said. everyone started to grab a food item.

billie furrowed her eyebrows at her phone.

no text from maya.

ricky, ariana and denzel sent a text.

but none from maya.

zoe looked at billie wondering why she didn't grab anything. she then peeked at her phone and found billie's finger clicking mayas name.

billie started to type multiple things like "where are you, happy valentine's day, etc", but her thoughts got the best of her.

flashback

"my man is taking me to a fancy restaurant" ricky said. the group groaned. "i beg of you to talk about something else than your man" zoe complained.

"oh your just mad you don't have a man" ricky argued. "i am literally gay" zoe argued back.

"still doesn't make u less hoeless" ricky said. the group gasped.

"and who told you i had no hoes?" zoe said slipping a fry in her mouth. the group looked at her waiting for her to elaborate.

she looked back at them. "her names kenzie" zoe said.

"SHOW US A PIC WTF?!" ricky demanded. "shit, ok" zoe said pulling out her phone and searching her photos.

she showed the group the pic. denzel nodded his head in approval. "hot"

zoe laughed. "thank you"

"so miss eyelash, who's your valentine?" denzel asked billie. "is that a joke?" billie asked.

"uhh no, i'd thought you be ready to date by now" denzel answered.

billie looked down. "oh i just don't think anyone could be romantically interested in me"

they looked at her sympathetically.

"well screw everyone, you don't need a valentine." ariana said. everyone agreed but maya.

"well ms germain what about you?" denzel asked maya. "oh uh i'm just going to florida to see a few friends" maya said.

billie looked at her sad.

"oh type shit" denzel said. "yeah" maya said back. she peeked at billie staring at her and felt bad. billie quickly looked back down at her food.

flash forward

she deleted the unsent text disappointedly slid her phone on the counter. zoe looked sympathetic as she saw what went down.

billie lifted her head off zoe's shoulder and reached for some chocolate.

"we tried to get maya to come and celebrate with us but she won't pick up her phone" claudia said.

billie sighed. "oh that's fine" she lied.

"really? i mean i thought she should be here" maggie said. "why?" billie asked.

"because you really like her" maggie answered.

"she's not my girlfriend she isn't required to come" billie said defensively.

they looked at her.

"well no but she still is a close friend i'd thought you want here" maggie argued.

"yeah i do but she has a life that goes beyond my needs" billie said.

"true but doesn't she have a crush on you?" maggie asked.

billie's head shot up.

"what" billie said.

"it's painfully obvious billie" finneas said.

"n-no she doesn't" billie stuttered.

"are you serious right now?" finneas started. "billie she literally risked suspension for you"

billie looked stunned not knowing what to say.

"if that isn't love then i don't know what love is" finneas said putting her arms up.

billie just sat in thought eating.

did maya really have a crush on her? were there signs she didn't know about?

time passed by and there was a knock at the door.

the group exchanged looks. "are any of you expecting company?" maggie asked. they all shook their head no.

"i'll get it" zoe said getting up. she opened the door.

"hey zoe"

billie's head shot up recognizing the voice.

she quickly turned around to look at the person standing there.

"hey maya"