𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙞𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙛𝙖𝙪𝙡𝙩

LANA

LANA

Lana was wearing a pretty red dress with her favorite gold shoes. They were short high heels and they glittered brightly in the flashing lights. They were super cool.

Her wild hair was pulled back in a sleek bun and her mom allowed her to wear a light pink lipstick.

She was positive that she looked absolutely beautiful, but she felt anything but beautiful on the inside.

Her elementary school was holding a father-daughter dance and she had no father to dance with.

She watched with sad eyes as all of her classmates danced with their fathers with bright smiles on their faces. She watched with envious eyes as all of her classmate's fathers looked down at their daughters with pure love. She watched with blurry eyes as she realized she would never get to experience that.

"Lana," said Luke from beside her. She looked up at him with a hurt expression. He bent down on one knee to connect his eyes with hers. "I know I'm not our dad, but I would be so happy if you would dance with me."

Lana sniffled, a single tear rolling down her rosy cheek. Luke's entire expression dampened and she could see, through his chocolate eyes, that he was trying his best to hold it together. He lifted a shaky hand and wiped her tears away.

"Let me dance with you, Al."

She sniffled again. "Al?"

He tried to smile at her. "A nickname I thought up for you."

"It's not a very good one."

He chuckled lightly and the very sound of it made Lana chuckle too. "I know, I know. I suck at making nicknames."

She grabbed his hand. "I like it, though."

"Yeah?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah. It can be something just between us."

His smile widened and she was happy to know she was the reason for it. "Just for the two of us."

Lana began to tug his hand closer to the dance floor. "Come dance with me."

He stood and walked the two of them into the center of the brightly lit floor. Music echoed through the speakers and the two were soon surrounded by dancing fathers and daughters.

Luke turned towards his younger sister and pulled her closer. She wrapped her small arms around his waist and leaned her head against his stomach. His arms made her feel protected and safe, they felt like home.

They swayed together and Lana squeezed her eyes shut to block off the image of happy fathers with their daughters. Just staring at them made her stomach churn. They made her so angry and she wanted to break everything around her.