Author's Note

Do you remember those trauma-inducing teenage fanfic days? Where would we stay up before a school night reading Dark on Tumblr even though we were 14-year-olds? I definitely do. 

I wanted to write a much longer introduction to what this fanfiction was initially about in the book summary, but Wattpad wouldn't let me due to the character limit, but that doesn't stop me from pouring my heart out here in a typical Author's Note that no one reads. 

Looking back, this fanfiction brought a wave of nostalgia. It was filled with stolen moments of reading, evoking both cringe-worthy moments (with the 'emerald orbs') and endearing memories of my teenage self. The messy buns, the skater skirt/vans combo, and the endless references to Youtubers like Kingsley and the Harries twins that painted a picture of a simpler time. But sprinkled within are glimpses of what was to come when I got older - direct or indirect encounters with issues such as EDs and substance abuse, woven into the story by a younger me who couldn't have known. 

Years later, as a more mature writer with a newfound love for my younger self, I return to this book. It's a 'kind-of' reminder to embrace our past endeavours, even the less-than-perfect (or should I say... CRINGE) ones. Maybe it's time for a fandom-wide trend: revisiting our teenage masterpieces with fresh eyes and the wisdom we've gained throughout the years. 

With this said, I hope you have fun reading this revamp!

Much love to all, and do good. xx