Chapter 17

Nova

I woke up with sweat dripping down my face, and breathing heavy. I tried to calm down by taking deep breaths, a technique that works when I realize I was just having a nightmare. I look at my alarm clock, and I have only been sleeping a couple hours. There is no way I am going to be able to sleep anymore, so instead I get ready and go to the gym. When I get there I notice Matteo is already up, and doing his own work out. He hasn't noticed me so far, and I continue my way over to barbell.  

As much as I want to push myself, my ribs have been killing me, and it is worse since my fight last night. I have taken pain killers to numb the pain as much as I can, but I know as much as I don't want to admit it, they are probably broken. So again, I stick with only lifting around my warm up weight. 

Matteo notices me when he sees the movement and noise of me placing the weights on the bar. He gives me a smile before returning to his own work out, which I am glad that he isn't watching me like last time. 

As I start lifting, I can feel the pain in my ribs, they are screaming in protest. I know this means I should rest and take a break from fighting for a few weeks, but I will not listen to that voice, or I will go insane and punch thousands of holes in this house. 

I do end up ending my lifting session early, I didn't want Matteo to see any sign of struggle on my face and think I am weak. I am not weak, I am just having a bit of a set back. I decided to run on the treadmill, but again the movement of it all was pressuring my ribs. I was getting frustrated with myself, and pushed myself passed the limit my ribs would allow. Getting off the treadmill I wince, slightly bending over forgetting I had company. 

I am pissed at myself for that to, but I am really pissed that I can't get through even a warm up session. I know I have already shown weakness, and if I keep pushing myself, it could lead to me passing out and I don't know what would happen while being unconscious.

"Nova.. are you okay? What happened?" Matteo asks.

I quickly replace any sign of pain in my face with a small smile. 

"Oh nothing. I am fine. Why do you ask?" I say with a light laugh. The vibration hurts so I quit that fast.

"You look like you were hurting. And you were holding your side.. did something happen while you were lifting weights? Did you pull something or twi-" I cut Matteo off with the most perfect lie ever.

"Oh no. Uh its just the period cramps. They decided to hit me pretty good today is all." I say remembering how I told my brothers I was on my period so I could sneak off to the fight. 

"Oh. Okay.. Umm. Is there anything I can do? I can get you some ibuprofen or something.." He says scratching the back of his head. He defiantly doesn't know what to do or how to act in this situation. But at least he is trying, so he gets some credit. 

"No I already had some.. I am just waiting for it to kick in is all." I say to him. "I am actually going to go lie down, and try to rest so I can be in a better mood then yesterday." I say giving him a small smile before walking past him.

"Okay.. I hope you feel better Sorella" He says in response.

And then I head to my room to sit there in agony.

-----------------------------------------

When I go downstairs for breakfast, everyone is gathered around at the table getting food. I join them in making a plate of my own. 

"Hey principessa. I hope you slept well." Lorenzo says.

"I did, thank you." I said taking a seat with my plate.

Everyone starts eating and falls into easy conversation, until Lorenzo says something to me that makes me groan internally.

"So Nova, I have gotten everything taken care of for you to start school next week. The twins will be there so you don't have to worry about being alone.

School... fucking school. 

Jax, I am dragging you to hell with me. 

Word count: 748