157-160

Chapter 157

Harry took advantage of the calm, he knew that when they could no longer hold out, his friends would bombard him with questions. He remembered that time which seemed distant to him when he had swum under the waters of the Black Lake, so worried for the life of the redhead next to him. Whereas now… At best he would send someone without the threat of losing his magic, at worst he would simply leave without looking back. Others would do what he wouldn't do. He was no longer a hero.

Did she really try to kill you?
Oh. The shock was still very real for Hermione. It had to be said that she wanted so badly to believe that adults wouldn't knowingly hurt them.

Yes, she really tried. I took a spell from her before Sirius lunged at her to protect me. She wanted to save me from him by killing me, she didn't know what he did to make it was in vain.
She suffered ?
Ron managed to look as pale as when he had proposed to confront Dumbledore. Harry patted his arm, shaking his head.

No, I made sure I didn't. She was used by the director, she wouldn't have tried such a thing on her own. I believe.
Hard to say as he told them that Dumbledore was left to starve because Voldemort no longer saw any point in finishing him off in person. His friends were somewhere between horrified and relieved. Harry had to admit that they were a bit of fun and he gave them a wan smile before asking if they were ready for the exams. The OWLs weren't going to miss them. To think that he wasn't going to pass them... Although... Tom didn't like fools and having proof of his abilities could please the demon. Harry grimaced inwardly. He didn't want to study hard but it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

After all, his incubus still had things to do for this world so he might as well have something useful to worry about.

Hermione offered him her grades when he suggested he would try to take the exams too. Ron didn't understand how he could want to do that when he could escape it. An argument started between these two and Harry really felt like he was going back in time for a few minutes. He wondered when they would kiss to shut each other up. He even almost suggested it to them before pushing them to go to the Common Room.

After a game of chess, the brunette's notes in hand, Harry left for the manor. There, he ordered Barty to make room for him for the exams and set to work in the library, aided by a reluctant and irritable Severus. Harry didn't care. He had found something to do for himself - well a little for his companion - he was going to do it as hard as he could.

Sirius' absence went unnoticed by him.

158

Yes, Sirius wasn't at the manor, he was in very bad company if you asked him. But Tom had no interest in asking him as the godfather of his prey pushed open the door of the Black house. The familiar black magic of the place surrounded him and welcomed him, as if delighted to find him. This drew a smirk from him as he pushed his hood back, the door closing silently behind them. Black's look made him smile.

She loves You.
Of course this house loves me. I studied the works in his library a lot.
…I tend to forget that you knew my parents.
Tom walked into the living room. Everything was so dusty and abandoned. Walburga would have been horrified to see her beloved home like this. His body tense, on the lookout, the demon was mainly looking for evidence that would lead him to his Horcrux. Except it seemed he wouldn't need any, the object was here, he felt it. Had Regulus been stupid enough to bring this treasure here and leave it there? Everything didn't add up. However, thinking about it…

Call the house elf, Black.
The elf… Uh…
Sirius looked unhappy though, he obeyed, well aware that Tom would have no patience with him. When the creature showed itself, Tom recognized it immediately, it was the one he had used to create his trap. He raised his wand for a Legilimens before she even understood what was happening. He found the memory quite easily, the house elf was tormented by the fact of having killed one of the members of the family he had always served. Tom chuckled lowly and added an Imperium so that the elf would fetch the medallion and give it to him.