I've Been Strong For Too Long

Two days later, while still trying to fathom the news about my father, I was dragged to a bridal shop to buy bridesmaid dresses for Juliet's wedding. In case you couldn't tell I was extremely overjoyed...not. 

The Bridal shop was filled with white dresses of all different shades and styles. On every wall there was a rack filled with at least a dozen. It reminded me that mine and Andy's day would never arrive. We would never have a special day or get to drag our wedding party to shops like this. 

A mid 40 year old blonde women emerged from the small door, hidden and almost invisible among all of the dresses. 'Hello Juliet how are you? What can I help you with today?' She spoke in a sickly sweet voice. Juliet told the women that we were here for bridesmaid dresses and in return the women brought out a portable rack full of bridesmaid dresses. I guessed that these were the one's that Juliet or the woman had picked out that would go best with Juliet's dress. 

All of the dresses had a pale pink on so I got a hint of the colour scheme. The woman, named Linda, ushered me and the 3 other bridesmaids into the changing rooms before handing us dresses. I had no idea who the other 3 girls were so I felt a little out of place. 

I put on the dress. Mine was a one shoulder white satin gown. The shoulder strap was covered in bling and a small cluster of jewels was to my waist. All of the satin was gathered to the cluster before draping towards the floor. 

The I walked out behind the other girls and I looked at their dresses. All of them had the same shade of pink. When we walked out to the front we each had our own pedestal to stand on in front of a sofa. Juliet sat on the pink sofa and looked at all of our dresses.

As Juliet looked at me I grew increasingly self concious. She smiled at me 'Could I see Jamie in some 4 inch heels please?' Juliet asked Linda. I put on the white 4 inch heels as Juliet wished. 'I think I like Jamie in that dress and then the rest of my girls in Melissa's dress'. Melissa wore a two piece, pale pink bridesmaid dress. The top part was a sweetheart neckline with straps and lots of small white flowers covering it. The bottom half was chiffon pink with the same white flowers on the top of it.

'If the other girls wouldn't mind getting changed into normal wear and then sitting on the sofa? We are going to get Juliet ready now' Linda spoke to the other two girls. Me and Melissa remained standing on the pedestal. After about 10 minutes my back was aching and i finally heard Linda's sickly voice signalling Juliet was ready.

Juliet wore a soft pink, tulle ruffled dress with a sweetheart neckline and chapel train. It had crystal beads on the top of the neckline and also down the side of the waist. She wore a pale pink veil with small crystals all over it. Her heir was roughly tied up in a bun to give a faint idea of what the veil would look like on the day. A tiara was placed neatly on top of her head. She stood in the middles of me and Melissa. 

At that moment Sammi burst through the bridal shop door. 'I'm sorry I'm late Juliet! I was asleep when I got the call, sorry to here about the other bridesmaid...' She hurriedly spoke before gasping. 'Those dresses are just...wow!' 

'It's fine Sammi and that other bridesmaid is unimportant...Oh and thank you' Juliet smiled. 'Linda could you take Sammi to the dressing rooms? I want to see her in the same dress as Melissa' 

I stood still until Sammi came out in the same two piece dress. 'I'll take 4 of these dresses' Juliet pointed towards Sammi and Melissa 'and one of these dresses. Thank you Linda' She referred to me. 

~~~

It was a couple of hours after the appointment. We had to get measured so all of the dresses fitted perfectly. Me and Sammi decided to come back to mine and we were going to have a movie night. Sammi had just came back from the shops after demanding food. She handed me a big tub of strawberry ice-cream. My favourite. The only problem was I didn't feel like eating junk food.

'Hey! What's wrong? I though it was your favourite?' Sammi asked, sitting right next to me on the sofa.

I put the tub down 'It is...I just don't want any...' I told her as I pressed play on the TV remote. She picked up the remote and paused the movie before turning to me.

'Seriously what is up with you today? You have been acting strangely ever since we came back from the bridal shop! Aren't you happy to be maid of honour for Juliet?' She asked. 

'I am happy...but all of her bridesmaids are so much more skinnier than me. I fell like the pig in the group. It's going to be humiliating to walk down that aisle for the wedding, between the man I love and the woman he cheated on me with, when everyone else is so much skinnier than me!' I yelled.

'Oh darling!' She exclaimed while giving me a hug. 'I know it's hard but--' I cut her off.

'How would you know?!' I jumped up from the sofa and looked down at her. 'Did your boyfriend cheat on you on your birthday and get some girl pregnant? Are you the one who has to be the mad of honour and watch them get married. Are you the one that has to stand by as Juliet raises their child and steals the happy ending that I was meant to have!?!' I was furious. I pushed her down as she rose to comfort me. She landed on the sofa with shock in her eyes. I ran to my bathroom and locked the door. 

I wasn't ashamed of what I had just done to the girl who has been nothing but kind to me. I was lonely! I had no one to relate to and I was sick of everyone telling me that they know how I feel! They don't! Who else in the whole world is in the same situation as me?! No one, that's who!

I slid down the wall and held my face in my hands. I didn't want to do this any more. I didn't want to live...

______________

P.s Sammi's and the other bridesmaid's dresses are the same as the one pictured.

Juliet's dress is the external link 

xx