Fear Makes Us Feel Our Humanity

Andy’s P.O.V

30 minutes after she was ripped from my grip, I was still curled into a tiny ball on the uncomfortable blue chairs. Ashley was rubbing my back comforting me. A doctor in his mid-30s walked and stopped in front of us, I shot up like a bullet and faced the bearded man. ‘Where is she? Can I go see her? Is she dead? She’s dead isn’t she? Oh god what am I gonna-’ I was cut off by a hand coming in contact with my face. Before I could turn my head and glare at Ashley the doctor spoke with a gritty voice.

‘She is stable but not awake; you can go and see her. Room 6-66’ I just ran to her room, Ashley thanked the doctor before running after me. When I opened the grey door my eyes immediately fell onto the lifeless body lying helplessly on the bed. Wires were hooked up to her as if she was some sort of experiment. It sickened me. You could hear her breathing in between the constant beeps of the heart monitor.

I sat on the chair and caressed her hand. The silence was deafening, thankfully Ashley broke it. ‘Hey Andy, you should probably head home. It’s been hours and she isn’t waking up.’ I looked up to the clock above the door, 6 hours. Huh. ‘Okay.’ I gave in, I was really tired and I’m sure Ashley will tell me of any changes. I stood up and kissed her cheek and hugged Ashley.

When I got home, I went straight to my room and lay on the soft cushions of my bed. I felt cold and empty without Jamie, I can’t believe I have just got her and she could slip away with one blink of an eye. I quickly fell into oblivion. I dreamt of a life with her, we were happy and she was laughing. Dressed in black she smiled up at me and leant towards her…

‘I’m baaaack, HA HA HA HA-’ I grabbed my phone pressing it to my ear. It was Ashley; his voice was hoarse as if he had just been woken up. A distant alarm rang through the microphone as people rushed around and drowned out Ashley’s voice. I could just make out the words ‘Hospital now!’