Chapter Six

Angela was surprised to find Adrianno up and dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants, reading the paper, the next morning when she woke up. He was sitting at the breakfast bar, his leg crossed over the other as his eyes scanned over the pages. Did she pretend he wasn't here and not speak to him? Or did she say good morning? When she looked at him in the corner of her eye, he didn't seem too happy so she decided to keep any interaction between them short and sweet if even needed.

She snuggled into her dressing gown as she made a pot of coffee. She turned around, he still hadn't moved an inch or even acknowledged she was there. Was he annoyed because of her appearance last night in the living room? Maybe. Those men and Adrianno seemed to be having a very important discussion and she knew she may have walked in at a bad time.

"Would you like some coffee?" she said quietly. As soon as the words were spoken, she regretted it, she wanted to take them back and go into hiding in her room again. He glared at her, making her almost flinch but then she supposed that was easy, she was afraid of everything.

He looked back down at his paper then and she took that as a no. She wanted that person from the other day to show up again: the one who joked and at least talked to her a little, even if he made her feel stupid.

"I'm sorry about last night." She had told herself not to talk to him so why had she done it again? It felt like she wanted to talk to him but she knew how scary he could be. Maybe it was just because she hadn't had much human contact in a while now, she reassured herself. Or maybe she was just plain curious about this man she lived with and knew nothing about. "You know, if I knew you were still there I wouldn't have come out of my room- Wait, not that I avoid you or anything, well yes I do but-"

"Stop rambling." He ordered calmly, turning the paper to read the next page.

"I'm sorry." She said again. "I-I just wanted you to know that I didn't do it on purpose, I was just so bored in my room and decided to go outside for a while but you were still there. It won't happen again."

"Stop saying I'm sorry Angela." He breathed out.

"I'm sorry- Oh wait, no. I'm not." She was getting herself in a rut now and didn't know what to say. He seemed to be getting annoyed now and she didn't want that. She looked at his burning eyes, they made her shiver.

"Stop saying I'm sorry god damn it!" he raised his voice and slammed his fist down on the table. She jumped back a little and put her hand over her mouth, the noise of everything on the breakfast table as he smacked his hand down on the table made her eyes shut for a moment. She nodded slowly and walked briskly to her room, leaving her coffee sitting on the counter top behind her.

She left him in the kitchen alone, feeling slightly regretful. He had an urge to bring her coffee to her and apologize himself but he fought it off. He kind of felt something when he saw how frightened she looked standing in front of him. It was like a slap in the face. But Adrianno never felt anything so he didn't think much of it.

He was so used to not sleeping, that he didn't even feel tired anymore but Adamo and his discussion was still playing on his mind. It made him furious, he never liked when he didn't get his own way.

Adamo was a member and very high up in one of the rival familia's in New York. They had been fighting over territory but Adamo had played dirty and somehow backed Adrianno and his men into a corner unexpectedly. He needed to have a talk with them all, his father wouldn't be happy about this either.

Then Angela had walked out and distracted Adamo and his other men from what they were talking about. They all eyed her with curiosity, he wanted to kill every one of them as they sat there in his apartment, drinking and smoking but he wouldn't. Sure, he couldn't blame them at all, Angela could be seen as quite a catch but he wouldn't go for her.