Chapter Ten

Adrianno hadn't come back to the apartment while Angela and Mike were there. Mike left Angela there, on her own after an hour or two of chatting; he said he really needed to get home. The two had sat on the sofa in the living room talking, waiting for Adrianno to return but he hadn't.

It was starting to get late and there was still no sign of him after Angela had showered and got herself ready for bed. Although it was really none of her business, she wondered what had happened to put him in this mood, she wonder who was on the phone to him too.

Although she had tried to do what she had to do as slow as possible to put off going to bed until he was home, it had gotten too late for her to keep her eyes open so she eventually went to bed. Her fear of having another bad nightmare made her lie awake for a while, even thought she was tired. Her nightmares had stopped occurring as frequently as they had been just after she left New York but she had experienced the night before.

Angela knew it was probably from her talk with Adrianno about her old life and him. She hadn't talked about all of that stuff in a while and tried to not think about it, which she hadn't done today but there was still a possibility of having a bad night and she was afraid of that. She was afraid that he still haunted her, although he wasn't there beside her, he found a way to get into her thoughts, to get into her mind. She really hated it.

A while after she had drifted off to sleep, noises coming from outside her bedroom woke her up. She could heard glass shattering and loud banging, the clattering of objects being thrown around the room. She rubbed her eyes of sleep and check the time. It was almost four in the morning and it made her wonder what was going on.

She was afraid to go out and see what was the cause of all of the noise but at she slipped her dressing gown on and walked to her door, she froze. Could it be him? She thought. Yes, Angela knew it was a stupid idea, that the chances of her crazy ex-boyfriend breaking and entering a highly secured apartment on the other side of New York to find her were very slim, but it still made her terrified.

Opening her door, she was already making up an escape plan in her mind. The noises got louder are she turned the corner to find the living room up-ended. She gasped quietly at the sight of the coffee table broken to pieces and the layer of glass that was on top crushed everywhere on the rug. Could it be a burglary? She thought.

Angela didn't know whether to be relieved or not to find Adrianno in the dining room, throwing a bookcase over. At least it hadn't been who she thought it was but then again, that would be highly unlikely. He was kneeling now, punching the hard wood with his hands. She wondered what she should do. Going back to bed would be the safer option for Angela right now but she knew she couldn't do it, she had to calm him down or try to at least.

She walked slowly over to him, but he had yet to see her. She was trembling with fright but continued to walk towards Adrianno who was still punching and ruining all of the furniture he came into contact with. She tried not to winced at the loudness of his fists breaking up the bookcase and placed a shaky hand gently on his shoulder. He immediately tensed up but stopped what he was doing to turn around and look at her.

His eyes showed a type of sadness Angela had never seen before, gone was the fiery and aggressive man she had mostly seen. Both their eyes locked on one another's for a long moment, a dead silence had filled the apartment. The stare was becoming too intense for Adrianno, he moved his eyes to focus on something else in the room.

"Adrianno, are you okay?" her voice was gentle and soothing to him but he couldn't look at her.

"I'm fine." He huffed and got up from the ground to reach his towering height. She looked up at him with concern, making him feel even worse about himself now. Here she was, a girl he had taken away from her home and locked up in his apartment for days on end without showing any type of kindness to, standing there and wondering how he was doing. It didn't make sense to him: her genuineness. He both hated and liked it at the same time.