Chapter Eight

"You do know you're going to have to let her out soon Adrianno." Franco said between bites of his sandwich. The three men had gone for lunch together in the city. Adrianno didn't reply for a minute, he sipped on his coffee and thought about  his cousin had said. He was right, but he didn't know if he could trust her enough to know she wouldn't run away. She was scared easily, he could clearly see that by now. She was afraid of him yes, so she would not tell anyone about what she seen but what if someone else scared her more? She would probably tell them in a heartbeat and that was what he didn't want.

"C'mon, I'll bring her out. You won't even have to be there." Mike tried to sound persuasive but not enough for Adrianno.

"No." he replied quickly with force, he definitely didn't want that. He didn't know why yet but it wasn't happening. Franco gave Mike a knowing look and grinned.

"How about you come over tonight for dinner with her? Maria would like the company, she'd love Angela." Maria was Franco's wife of five years, the two were childhood sweethearts and to this day are madly in love with each other. Maria was a friendly and kind girl. She was a saint really considering she put up with Franco and his flirting for all of these years. The two went together perfectly but what they had was something Adrianno never wanted.

"I'll think about it." He said, he really was considering it but he had to think things through first, just like he always did.

"Can I come?" Mike nudged Franco and grinned at him. Franco looked at Adrianno who seemed annoyed at Mike.

"Sure." He looked at Adrianno who breathed out and held the bridge of his nose. Adrianno and Mike had a brotherly bond that no one could break, but Mike did get on his nerves most of the time, ever since they were younger. Franco and Mike thought it was actually quite funny to piss him off constantly so they never stopped. Adrianno knew he was the most serious out of them all, he got that from his father.

Mike was young, he was stupid and a lot more care-free, a lot more care-free than Adrianno could ever even think about being. Unlike Mike, he was next in line to take his father's place as the boss, so Mike didn't have the kind of pressure on him like Adrianno did. He had to be serious, he had to be ruthless, that was the best way to get through his life. He often thought about what life would be like if he wasn't born into this Mafia life, would he be more like Mike?

"So will you and Angela be ready by then?" Franco cut into Adrianno's thoughts.

"Uh-What?" he must have spaced out, he thought.

"Can you two come over at eight tonight?"

"Okay. I'll have to go home and tell Angela as soon as we are done for today."

"Don't be late." Franco told the two of them, "You know what Maria is like when people turn up late for her dinner parties." Mike laughed and Adrianno smiled.

Adrianno got home just before seven that day. He found Angela standing over the stove in the kitchen, he really should've called her to tell her not to make dinner but he had forgotten. She still hadn't noticed his presence; she was humming away to herself, her hips swaying slightly. She looked so good, he thought but quickly pushed his strange comment out of his mind. He radio was turned on and when he was behind her he finally spoke.

"We're going out." He made her jump and turn around quickly. She looked at him with scared eyes. He had clearly frightened her, sneaking up behind someone could potentially make anyone jump but she looked absolutely terrified. She held her hand over her mouth, her eyes were wide as she looked at Adrianno. She let out a sigh of relief and relaxed a little. This girl was clearly afraid of her own shadow, he thought.