Chapter Twelve

It seemed to Angela, like Adrianno had split personalities. One day, he would be cool, he would be angry but calm and that was scary and yet another day he could be gentle, and seem like he cared, even just the smallest bit. It was confusing.

After that night last week when they had ordered take out and sat eating in the living room, Adrianno had been very closed up. He would rarely be there, come home late with different women, and not even eat the food she had made and left there for him. It was just like when she had first come here and although at the start, she was glad he wasn't around much, she didn't feel the same anymore.

Her thoughts went back to that night, they had talked, laughed, and shared a bit more about themselves. Well, she had shared a bit more about herself. Adrianno didn't say much about his mystery of a life. Her curiosity had grown stronger as the days went on. Where the hell would he disappear to all day and at weird times at night? Was he a business man? Sure, he did dress the part but she didn't think so. Maybe, she thought, he could be a lawyer? Maybe he worked in stocks? She snorted at the thought but she was still left wondering a hell of a lot about this man.

Just then, Angela heard the key in the lock and the door opening behind her. She turned her head slightly to look around her shoulder at Adrianno, who was dressed perfectly in a dark suit, overcoat and gloves and a scarf. He glanced at her and then went about doing something else. This was the earliest he had been home the past few days.

"Hi." She called quietly as he strode past her towards the kitchen. Adrianno's mind was somewhere else, somewhere where he wasn't supposed to be thinking about her. He threw his jacket over one of the stools at the breakfast bar and gripped the edge of the counter. He huffed out a breath and stared out the window at the falling snow.

Angela moved her head forward, to look into the kitchen that was to her left. He had his back to her as he inhaled and exhaled loudly. She was curious, maybe he was stressed? She walked quietly into the kitchen to get a drink and eyed him subtly to investigate further.

"Your dinner is in the oven." She said, grabbing the water from the fridge and walking around him to the cabinet. He still didn't budge.

"Are you okay?" she asked again, she knew she was pestering but she just wanted to know now. Angela looked at him before opening the cupboard door and reaching up to get a glass. She got upon her tiptoes to get one but could not reach. Damn my shortness and these high shelves, she thought to herself. Adrianno had still managed to stay in the same spot, he hadn't even turned his head to look at her but he knew she was having trouble reaching whatever it was that was in that press over there. In the corner of his eye, he could just see her beginning to climb up onto the countertop to grab a glass and that was when he was done ignoring her.

"Do you want to fall like you did last time?" he asked in annoyance. He turned to find her kneeling on the marble counters, her arm extended. She froze and turned to look at him. He could've laughed at her if it weren't for his terrible mood. He just strode quickly over and snatched a glass down, placing it loudly down on the bright marble beside her. She had turned over and was sitting now, her legs swinging off of the counter.

"So you can talk now?" Angela asked, rather bravely if you asked her. She watched carefully, still only sneaking glances at him. He was standing almost in front of her now and she was nearly at eye level with him. Her eyes trailed over his appearance, drinking everything in again. This happened a lot lately, every time she would see him actually. He turned to face her completely and bent over, putting his arm out quickly to close the cupboard door a few inches from her face.

She instantly flinched and covered her face with her hands, feeling like she was curling up into a ball to protect herself. It was then, when she removed her hands from her face and opened her eyes to meet a concerned looking Adrianno, that she knew she had messed up. She just couldn't help being ready to defend herself. Well, she hadn't been very good at defending herself with him, she just knew when to duck, when to try to avoid his fists coming into contact with her face.