Chapter Forty-Eight

It was exactly 11:37 pm when the first gunshot could be heard at Adriano's party. It was shot by Lucio at Adamo's father, Casmiro. Lucio had corner him outside the venue to talk to him and unexpectedly shot him from a very short distance. Lucio did not bat an eyelid at Casmiro's pleading to save him. In fact, he shot him twice more for good measure, the gruesome sight laid out before his eyes was something he had waited a long time to see.

It took some time for Casmiro's heart to eventually stop beating but Lucio did not wait around to see. Instead, he headed back inside to finish the job he had just started. The music had been loud but he knew the gunshots could probably be heard faintly by some of the people who had attended. He could tell it had stirred a couple of individuals but not enough for them to speak up.

"I want to thank everyone for coming here tonight." Adriano smiled handsomely at the crowd of people looking at him.

He caught eyes with his father who gave him a short nod, a signal that he had done what was planned, before heading off into what would soon become a battle field. Adriano gave a short speech and then made his way out of view from most. He walked up the winding stairs and onto the next level of the room, looking down at what was about to unfold.

Before anyone could stop them, members of the Morreti gang opened fire on the DeLuca family, who were all dispersed in the extravagant ballroom. The loud noise of the shots echoed throughout the room along with the cries of people. People ran in all directions, desperate to get away. Lucio had made sure Carmela, Maria and the rest of the women in the family were already getting away from the scene safely with their children.

Mateo fell to the floor with a thud unheard by his brothers. Two of the other DeLuca brothers had also been shot while Adamo tried to make a quick escape, dragging Angela along with him hurriedly. Mateo's glass smashes as it fell from his hands, his wife kneeled over him screaming with horror. She was unable to think of anything but the sight before her eyes, her husband lying limp on the ground. She would not move from her spot, despite her Luisa's desperate pleading. Her screams could be heard all around the ballroom but blended in with everyone else's.

Angela could not hide her shock at what was unfolding around her. Suddenly, Adriano's words from minutes ago made sense to her.

"Hurry the fuck up!" Adamo screamed at her. He had his gun out and subtly pointed into her side  so that she didn't get any ideas about running away from him.

He gripped onto her arm tighter and looked around in an attempt to scope out where he could leave but the place was filled with Adriano's men, blocking all exits he could find. Gunshots were fired just then very near the pair. Both ducked and Angela tried desperately to calm her nerves. She had never been in a situation as gut-wrenching as this. No one was safe.

Adamo lead her upstairs in hopes to find somewhere to hide until things calmed down. He knew that all of his family were the only targets here but he was already thinking up a way to get himself out of this mess- Angela.

While Adriano's men had already gotten the two DeLuca brothers and their father, they were all looking around for Adamo and Alessandro. Adriano was the one to spot Alessandro who instantly turned a couple of shades whiter than he already when he saw him.

"Alessandro!" Adriano's booming voice echoed all through the empty ballroom, even Angela and Adamo could hear it from the room they had vacated. Adriano shot near him, not wanting to shoot him just yet. He needed to find out where Angela was first.

"Alessandro!" Adriano called, louder this time. Alessandro had no other option now but to continue on running or turn around and face this man.He turned around quickly to face Adriano, his gun ready to shoot but was met with a laugh from Adriano. Alessandro's shaking hands tried their best to not lose their grip on the gun but it was difficult in the state that he was in, his brain unable to process the events of tonight.