Chapter Thirty-Five

The fact that Adriano had been acting a little strange was on Angela's mind a lot lately. He would be out all day, come home and barely say a word to her. It seemed his physical needs were more important to him right now and he knew exactly how to make himself irresistible to Angela. He would make her crave him, and want more to the point where she just couldn't say no. Afterwards- that was when reality would hit and she would feel like things should have gone differently.

She needed to talk to him. But whenever she tried, he would always change the subject or tell her they were done talking. Angela thought he was being so closed up the last couple of days, despite her best efforts to talk and figure out what was wrong. Adriano would have to talk to her eventually wouldn't he?

Angela almost burnt their dinner while thinking about all of these things. They seemed to be like a tornado of thoughts, ripping up anything else in her mind that it came into contact with. She was worried, and she couldn't help it.

Just then, Adriano came through the front door. He made his way into the kitchen to find Angela, after closing the door behind him. Angela turned and met his dark gaze with a warm smile but that was soon wiped off her face at his words.

"We're going out for dinner." He said gruffly, almost unable to look at her.

"But I have dinner on right now?" she wondered why he hadn't told her sooner.

"C'mon we need to leave soon." He ignored what she had said just a minute ago.

"Why didn't you call me and tell me we were going out? I made us dinner."

"I just didn't." he said through gritted teeth. She turned off the cooker and put a lid on the pot she had been using to cook before taking a few steps towards him.

"Adriano, what's wrong?" Angela hesitated and her voice came out weak but gentle.

"Nothing." He almost growled before turning and walking out into the living room, Angela following behind him.

"There is something wrong, I can tell. Why don't you just tell me why you're acting so weird lately-"

"Angela, we haven't got time for this right now. Go and get ready. We're meeting my family in half an hour." He urged on. Angela just gave him a defeated look and went into her room to get ready.

The noise of her door slamming shut made him flinch. She was angry, he could tell, but he had to try his best not to care.

The car ride to the restaurant was filled with a dead silence and a growing tension. Neither said a word. Angela had calmed down now and was more concerned than annoyed now. Adriano's guilt was eating away at him but he couldn't be weak at this point. This thing they had between them had gone too far. Another talk with his father had made him realise this but he didn't want to change. He wanted things to stay just the way they were with Angela but he felt like this wasn't an option anymore. Although he was not showing it, he cared and liked her so much and it was killing him on the inside not to be able to let it show.

Once they had reached the restaurant and gotten to the table where his family were sitting, the pair sat down themselves and scanned through the menu. Mike, Franco, Maria and Adriano's mom were amongst the family, along with another couple of relatives Angela had never seen before but she noticed how Adriano's father hadn't made an appearance. Adriano didn't introduce her to them either. The atmosphere when he arrived had definitely shifted greatly and Angela could tell everyone's conversations instantly dropped as soon as they saw Adriano's face. Maybe he wasn't just being off with her? She thought.

After a couple of minutes, everyone ordered and it was then that conversation had started back up again properly. Mike, who was sitting beside Franco and Maria, leaned his head forward to catch Angela's eye. She turned to see his smiling face and although she felt a little gloomy, he had made her smile. She hadn't talked to anyone yet- not even Maria, just sat there whilst Adriano spoke to others around the table.