Chapter Twenty-Two

Adriano walked around to Angela's side of the car and opened the door for her. He extended his hand out for her to take. She had this nervousness in her stomach for some reason that she couldn't shake off. She smiled anyways, taking his hand to help her out of the car. Adriano leaned down and said something in the passenger window of the car to the drive and then grabbed her hand again, leading her into the party.

Once they were inside, the loud chatter of the room full of people greeted them. There had to hundreds of people here, Angela thought it amazement. The lobby was full with people; all dressed impeccably in tuxedos and expensive dresses. Most had drinks in there hand and all were waiting for the large doors of the dinner room to be opened.

"Stay close to me Angela, don't go anywhere on your own." Adriano leaned down a little and told her calmly in her ear. She didn't know whether to be afraid by his comment or nod so she just nodded and clutched onto his arm. Adriano walked with her to the bar, ordering himself a drink first.

"What would you like?" he turned to her now.

"I'm good thanks." She smiled politely at him.

"Don't you drink?" her smile had fallen a little at this words. She remembered Derek and how much he had put her off drinking because of his drunken states he would get into. Angela felt different tonight; maybe she did want to try something tonight.

"Angela, Adriano! You're finally here." They both turned around to find Carmela in a plush pink dress, her make up perfect, her hair in an up style. She hugged the two of them and handed each a glass of champagne. "The doors will be opening soon, they're just getting the last bits ready for dinner. Happy birthday son, now I'm sorry but I have to run. Mike should be here soon. If I see him, I'll send him right over. I have to make sure everything is getting done in the kitchen. Bye guys." Carmela didn't stop for a breath as she rushed out her words. Once she had left the two alone again, they both looked at each other and laughed.

"She seems busy." Angela chuckled.

"That's my mom for you." He clunked his glass with hers and sipped the sparkling liquid as he waited for his drink from the bar. Angela drank a little of hers too but didn't finish it as quickly as Adriano.

The doors to the banquet room were soon opened, there was a sea of tablets, all laid out flawlessly. Everyone walked in and got to their tables. Adriano took Angeles hand again, scanning the room and soon noticed Adamo across talking to his father. His grip on Angela's tiny hand tightened a little as his eyes narrowed at the sight.

"Are you okay?" Angela looked up at him, placing a hand on his chest. He remembered the night Adamo had stabbed him, how he still had dressing on his wounds, how he threatened and talked about Angela and was so close to taking his gun out of his belt and shoot Adamo right here, now. Despite his father's warning that if anything was done to Adamo, there would be hell to pay for it, Adriano didn't care right now. "Adriano." Angela shook him a little and broke his thoughts.

"Yeah?" he remembered Adamo pushing Angela into the wall, her cries of pain, her tears afterwards in fear that he would come back and hurt the two of them. Adriano knew he couldn't tell her he was here, she would only be afraid and he wanted her to enjoy tonight. "Sorry, I was just in a day dream there. Let's go inside will we?" He put on a smile for her and walked into the dining room with her.

They sat at a table with Adriano's family. His mother and father, Mike and a few closer cousins sat with them.

"Happy birthday bro." Mike hugged Adriano warmly but Adriano didn't hug him back. "And hello shortcake." He grinned from ear to ear at Angela.

"Dobbiamo parlare Mike, Adamo è qui." (We need to talk Mike, Adamo is here.) Adriano said coolly to him, his smile faltered and he gave Adriano a serious look for a moment.