Chapter Forty-One

After a long day of traveling, Angela finally reached her old house. She had become familiar with the two guards that travelled with her despite not being in the mood to converse. Angela hadn't cried yet, probably because although she was actually back home now, the reality of leaving Adriano hadn't quite hit yet. She was waiting for the realisation and hoping it would stay away, even just for a couple of hours.

When she met her parents again for the first time in years, there were a lot of tears. Angela couldn't believe what was happening, that finally she would see her family again. Her sister arrived home a couple of minutes after Angela got back and again, there were tears. They all sat down together and talked until very late but then everyone had to go to bed.

Once Angela woke up the next morning, she was met with a dead silence. Everyone had gone to work or school so she was home alone. She got up and made herself breakfast and noticed the guards car parked outside her house. Angela was bored- she was finished tidying around and had nothing else to do so decided to make the guards coffee.

She brought them out two mugs and awkwardly knocked on the window. One, Kenny she remembered his name to be, rolled down the window and greeted her with a smile.

"You okay kid?" he asked, looking between Angela and the coffee.

"I brought you two out some coffee, I figured you might need it." Angela nodded toward the younger man, Santino, who was soundly asleep next to him. "I'm sure my mom and dad wouldn't mind you two staying with us..." The two men had insisted on staying outside last night to keep watch-just in case-they had said, despite Angela's attempts to invite them inside before she entered her old home.

"It's alright, don't worry about us. We just didn't want to leave so soon, we'll start staying somewhere after a couple more days."

"I'm hoping to find my own place soon anyway, once I get myself a job. I'm going to try and look today."

"Good luck with that. Don't forget, if you find anything strange to let us know. We can drive you to wherever you need to go today too."

"Thank you." She said, handing him in the two cups of coffee. "Do you guys want breakfast or anything?"

"We're fine kid, thanks." Kenny smiled warmly at her before she nodded and turned away.

She went back inside and get herself ready for a shower. The water was soothing but it in that moment, standing underneath the showerhead, the water cascading down her body- that everything had hit her. No Adriano.

Steam filled the air as tears poured down her face along with the water. She cried for what felt like hours until she felt she was all cried out. Angela's feeling towards everything still hadn't quite made a full arrival and she knew there would be more tears to come but for now she would get herself ready to go out. She played the piano for a while when she was done and didn't hear the door opening while she was playing.

"Angela!" Her mother called and entered the living room to find her daughter playing just as good-if not better than when she had left.

"Hi mom, I didn't see you there. What are you doing home? It's only noon." Angela looked at the clock on the opposite wall and back at her mother who was carrying a brown paper bag.

"I brought us home lunch. Two of my lessons were cancelled today at the school so I thought I might come home and spend some time with you."

"Great." Angela smiled and took the bag from her Mom before heading into the kitchen and emptying it out.

"You know they're looking for a new teacher down there, if you were interested." Her mother eyed her with curiosity as she began to serve their lunch. She wasn't quite sure what Angela's response would be.