Chapter Twenty Five

EDITED

Jake's POV:

Looking at the shell of what you used to be my best friend I had to fight back the many emotions that wanted to burst free. The Katie that is now screaming at the top of her lungs as her mate tries to approach her is not the Katie I know. She would never look so scared while staring at her mate. Something was most definitely wrong. My suspicions were increased tenfold when I saw one emotion I thought I would never see in Katie's eyes.

Fear.

But fear of what?

She continues to screech and the words she shouts are slurring together making no sense. Using her arms she tries pulling herself backwards until she's pressed against the wall.

I remember the way she looked at me when I found her. I was informed by a pack member that they had found her and I had quickly ran to find her. But nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to see. She was mumbling to herself but I caught one sentence.

'It was all an act.'

I was so confused but when I went to ask her she just glared. She looked at me with so much...hatred. And then she started shouting profanities I had to step out of the room in order for her to stop. That's when I sent a message to Charlie. I had to warn him. I don't think it helped.

Looking around the room I take in the blood splattered on the walls and the large pools on the floor. The metallic smell makes me want to gag. It looks like a horror movie in here.

I turn back to Katie and Charlie. Charlie looks heartbroken while absorbing the state of his mate but he stands at a safe distance away from her shaking form.

* "Alpha Jake we found Alpha Charlie's daughter on the north side."

He gives me directions and I quickly thank him. I turn to a solemn Charlie.

"Charlie, my men found Dani."

He twists his head so fast I wince at the crack it makes.

"She's fine but I'll go and you stay here..." I trail off while looking at Katie who seems to be staring at something that's not there. I hear her muttering lowly to herself. I knew Charlie was feeling distressed. He wanted to go check on Dani but his mate needed him more.

With a nod I leave following my pack members directions. My pace quickens and I feel my wolf begin to stir.

* "Mate! Mate is near!"

I feel my heart jump at the news. I have longed for my mate for so long. I'm only twenty yes but some people are lucky enough to find their mates at an early age. Take my nephew for example. Damien's twelve!

I find myself jogging until I come to the corridor I was told about. Now take a right...down some windy steps...down another corridor. My mates scent hits me just as I turn around a corner where a big black metal door is open. Standing at the door are a group of men from both packs all with disgusted expressions.

I notice Max, a member from my pack and walk up to him quickly. Once they see me they all turn and bow.

"How bad?" Silence follows the question. Max sighs and shakes his head.

"My mate went in with the other females and....well just listen."

I pause and step closer to the door only to hear frightened whimpers, sobs and the soft coaxing of the female pack members.

"Right..you guys stay here. I need to check on my niece."

Taking a deep breath my senses become overwhelmed with my mates scent. Oh goddess. My mind goes crazy thinking of images of my mate as I step down the staircase leading to another open door. I stop suddenly at the sight in front of me.