1. The Meadow of Memories and the Arrogant King

"Who's there?" You grip your wooden shepherdess's crook tightly. "Come out. It's dangerous in the forest and I won't hurt you."

A lanky shadow slowly steps out of the gloom, the sun glinting off the shiny ebony locks. Prussian blue orbs meet yours as the figure steps out into the light.

"Who are you?"

The figure – a young man, it seems – shrugs. "I must not be found," he says, almost inaudibly.

"Tell me who you are, please," you murmur, eyes locked on his. "I can't help you if I don't know anything about you."

"(First Name)? (First Name), where are you? I have your lunch for you!"

You turn to look at the voice, watching Shoyo bound up to you and hand you a small tan package before waving and sprinting back towards your village in the distance. There's a rustle behind you as you sigh, putting the bundle down before turning to look at the shadows again.

"Hey, where'd you go? Come back!"

A voice, seemingly out of nowhere, replies, "I can't trust you."

-♚-

Crook in hand, you wave it around to scare the sheep away from the outskirts of the meadow, lest they wander into the forest beyond. You had enough to worry about; you didn't need a lost sheep added to the mess.

"(First Name)! (First Name)!" A shrill voice calls out.

Turning to the source of the sound, your face breaks into a smile as you recognize the energetic boy-almost-man running towards you a breakneck speed. "Shoyo! What are you doing here?"

Coming to a stop in front of you, the orange-haired boy rests his hands on his knees and hunches over, panting vigorously. You wait patiently until he's recovered enough to say, "The chief wants to talk to you. He said to please come quickly. It's the king!"

The king? What could he possibly want with your small village, much less with you yourself? "Why? Does he personally request me? And who'll watch my sheep?"

"I'll take over from here, (First Name)!"

"No."

"What? Why not?" Shoyo pouts, puffing out his cheeks and acting very childish, not at all like the 19-year-old he really is.

"You and I both know how terrible you are at shepherding. That's why I'm the one herding sheep, not you."

"I'll do a good job, I promise! See? Let me show you!" He grabs the crook from you and jumps up and down, making strange "gwahhh!" sounds. "Besides, aren't you curious about the king visiting?"

You reach out and take hold of the wooden tool, pulling it from his grasp. "I'll admit I am, but I'm more concerned about my sheep."

"Oh, just give me the crook already, (First Name)!" He holds out his hand for it, smirking at you as he does so. "You have to go meet the king! He's so dreamy~"

You mentally facepalm and sigh, "He's only been king for a week and already you're into him way too much. I'm not sure if you're just an enthusiastic fan or if you have a crush on him."

"But he's so cool! C'mon, (First Name), you're a girl – don't tell me you don't think he's handsome!"

You wave your hand in the air, dismissing Shoyo's "fangirling" and starting to walk down the hill, your wolf companion near you. "Whatever you say, Shoyo, whatever you say. I don't even know what that guy looks like." You hand the shepherd's crook to your friend, saying, "I'm going to go see what's up down in the village. Don't lose any sheep..." Midsentence, you turn to glare at Shoyo, who whimpers under your intense glare. "...or else."