13. Cat Got Your Tongue?

"Sugawara, I have a request for you."

The butler perks up at your words, blinking twice. "What is it, my lady?"

You poke at your spongey cake, scooping up a bit of cream with your fork and licking it. The sweet, milky taste fills your mouth and you rest your chin in the palm of your hand. "I would like a room change."

Sugawara glances around the dining hall warily; having not seen any sign of the king anywhere within the vicinity, he replies, "Whatever for?"

"Reasons."

"Does this have anything to do with what happened last night after that Aoba Jousai scandal?"

You drop your fork, the silverware clattering loudly in the silent room as you stare at him. Hugging your knees to your chest, you stare down at your plate and give a short bark of a laugh, eyes downcast. "...of course it does."

"It has to do with the king, doesn't it?"

"Like you said before, since when does it not?"

He cocks his head to the side, silver mop of hair flopping into his eyes briefly. "Are you avoiding the king now, Lady (First Name)?"

You stiffen and pull your legs closer to you. "Maybe."

"Care to tell me what happened?"

"He insulted me."

"That's surprising," the butler chuckles.

"Don't laugh at me! I'm serious! He basically called me weak, you know? Because I'm a girl! I'm not a china doll or whatever – I can protect myself. And I have Shadow, too, even though I have no idea where he is right now."

"Very reassuring, my lady. Do you have any rooms in mind that you would like to move to?"

You glance up at the butler, meeting his warm yet steely gaze. His face betrays no emotions save for the concerned smile tugging at his lips. "Um... is my old room still open?"

"The one you stayed in when you first came here? Of course it is. I'll tell someone to prepare it for you immediately." He stands quickly and bows to you before striding out of the room to flag down a maid.

"That suitcase I packed before comes in handy, then," you mumble, leaning back in your chair.

「♚」

"My lady?"

"Yes? Come in, Sugawara," you murmur, having just finished unpacking your suitcase in your old-yet-new room. It's situated down the hall and to the right of the king's, about 150 meters away from your old room. A single rose, dried and withered, sits in the crystal vase on your bedtable.

He pushes open the door and stands in the door frame, chuckling as he watches you flop back on the bed. "I would suggest you prepare for a brief overnight trip tomorrow."

"Why? I just finished unpacking!"

"Have you forgotten? You're to go to Nekoma with His Royal Highness."

"Wait, is tomorrow the meeting to repair diplomatic relations between us and them? I thought that was next week! Dammit, fine, I'll start preparing."