12. A Midnight Rendezvous

A knock echoes through your room. "My lady? It's Sugawara. May I come in?"

You cross your arms across your chest and continue to stare at the wall. Your lips are pulled into a frown and your shoulders are hunched, your hair wispy around your face and your countenance miffed.

The rapping sounds again before a mop of silver hair pokes its way into your room. "Lady (First Name)? Are you alright?"

You barely spare the butler a glance before you fall back onto your bed. "Hardly."

"I brought dinner," he says, pushing open the door and closing it with his foot. In his arms is a tray of food, filled with a few choice sandwiches, some fruit, salad, and a cake for dessert. He places it on the table in the center of the room and sits next to you on the soft bed. "You've been holed up here for the days. I think it's time that I asked you what's bothering you."

"I've been stuck in here for two days," you correct, wagging a finger at the butler. He smiles softly as you continue. "Thank you for bringing me my meals by the way, Sugawara. But the real issue at hand here is the king."

He chuckles. "Since when is it not?"

"He can hear you, you know," you murmur, slinging an arm over your eyes as you point towards the wall between your two apartments. "You told me that the walls here are thin, didn't you?"

"What happened with him?"

A shiver runs through your body and you grimace at the memory. "He kissed me at the ball."

"Wouldn't most girls like it if a king kissed them?"

"It wasn't out of love, I don't think. Probably more out of jealousy of the fact that king Oikawa can get a reaction out of me that he can't."

"True, but he does care for you, you know. Speaking of which, my lady, the king of Aoba Jousai and his advisor are still here."

You sit up and press a hand to your forehead, feeling your temples throb slightly at the mere mention of the brunet. "I know. For diplomatic reasons, yeah? He came all the way here, so he might as well stay a few days and discuss politics and foreign policy with us. When is he leaving?"

"Tonight. Are you sure you would not like to confer with Iwaizumi?"

You cast a sidelong glance at the butler. "Who?"

Sugawara hangs his head, a wan smile decorating his face. "King Oikawa's advisor. Did you really not know?"

"I knew that," you laugh, hitting the butler lightly on the shoulder. "I was just messing with you."

He shakes his head as he laughs. "Would you not like to meet with him?"

"I don't think I have to, right?"

"You shouldn't skimp out on your duties as the royal advisor and queen-to-be, my lady."

"What if I did? What if I just up and left?"

"Please don't," he murmurs before standing up. "Regardless, Iwaizumi has requested an audience with you. After you finish dinner, please meet him in the royal audience chamber." He walks over to the door and waves at you before shutting it behind him.

"Got it," you sigh before hugging a pillow to your chest and waddling over to the table to eat your dinner.

「♚」