7. Just Motherly Things

"You're awfully impatient," you remark, watching the former king struggle to put on his jacket. He pulls the royal blue fabric this way and that, stretching it while failing to pull the sleeve out. Raising an eyebrow, you hide a snicker; Kageyama turns to glare at you briefly before returning his attention to the sleeve.

"Here, give me that—"

"No, I got it."

"No, you obviously don't 'got it.' Give me that," you say, holding out a hand.

"No."

"Give me it."

"No."

You smack him lightly on his head, scowling. He winces in pain but tightens his clutch on the jacket, knuckles turning white. "You stupid king—! Why am I even helping you?"

He looks at you, unsure of where you're going.

"I swear, I'm supposed to be your advisor, but what use is that if you're not even going to let me help you?"

"No, I will let you help me—"

"This idiotic boy of a king can't even put on his own jacket without help and he expects me to just stand by and not do anything about it," you glower, snatching the fabric from his hands when he least expects it.

"Hey!"

"Shut up. We'll fix it together, since if I fix it for you, you'll still be unable to do it yourself next time," you say, holding out the jacket. "See, the sleeve's inside out."

"So?"

"So reach in and grab the sleeve and pull it out!"

"And that'll straighten out the sleeve?"

"It's inside out right now. If you pull it out, it'll be back to normal," you say, demonstrating with one sleeve.

He extends a hand and reaches inside gingerly, slowly pulling out the cloth. His mouth forms a small O when you hold up the clothing, restored to its original form with no strange inside-out sleeves.

"Patience is a virtue, Kageyama."

"I know."

"It'd do you good to have some once in a while, My Royal Highness," you snicker. "You would've ripped up your beautiful jacket otherwise."

He glares at the disobedient material.

You hold up the jacket and gesture for him to turn around. "Here, put it on."

Remaining silent, he turns and slowly stretches out an arm, letting you work the sleeve onto his extended limb. You do the same with the other arm and he turns around, pulling on the front of the jacket to straighten it out.

"You look good," you murmur, stepping back to look at him from afar.

"What?"

Playing with the hem of your shirt, you sigh. "I said, the stupid child who can't put on his coat by himself looks good," you repeat, eyes fixed on the jacket. You can feel your cheeks start to heat up indiscernibly, but you avoid all eye contact.

  -♚-  

"I don't think he likes you, Kageyama," you remark offhandedly, gazing at your wolf companion who's on all four haunches, snarling at the male next to you.