20. Until Death Do Us Part

"Your ex-fiancé will be at the international gala hosted here tonight."

            You keep your back turned to the flamboyant brunet. "Yeah."

            "Stay in your room to avoid being seen by him. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ring. I'll make sure that it's be provided to you."

            "As to be expected of the Grand King." You tug at your own shirt collar and fiddle with your blankets, smoothing out an already smooth patch of fabric.

            "Don't call me that."

            "Whatever you say, King Oikawa, whatever you say."

            His shirt rustles as he runs a hand through his hair, and a few solitary footsteps echo through your room. "(First Name), why are you so cold to me?"

            You stiffen as he approaches you from behind, and the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end as his arms snake around your waist, fingers interlocking at your stomach. A shiver runs down your spine and you resist the urge to shudder at his touch, settling instead for a brief tremble that you blame on the chill wind from the open window next to your bed. "What do you want?"

            "For you to enjoy yourself. When will you finally begin to do that?"

            "It'll take time."

            "I can wait." He rests his head on your shoulder and gently hugs you to his chest.

            Dropping the blankets, you place a hand on his and pry his hands apart, separating them – and him – from your body. "Please."

            Oikawa moves to stand a bit behind you and plays with a strand of your (hair color) hair. "How long?"

            You return your gaze down to your bed, fingers reaching out for the sheer fabric draped across your mattress. Fiddling with the material, you keep your eyes down and try to breathe normally.

            "(First Name), I asked you a question," he murmurs, continuing to play with your hair.

            Raising your head to stare at the white ceiling, you watch the shadows of spindly branches and capricious leaves flicker as they dance in the cold afternoon wind. Speckles of sunlight stream in and intermit the silhouettes, leaving flecked smoky reflections in the room. "I... don't know."

            The king heaves a sigh. "Your ex-fiancé will be in attendance at the ball, so do your best to stay in your room – if you must leave, stay out of the ballroom."

            Kageyama's face flits through your memory. His sharply upturned nose, eyes the color of swirling infinite oceans, fringe of crow bangs framing his aggressive eyebrows, slightly rounded cheeks narrowing to a pointed chin... you know him all too well, and before you realize it, you're drowning under waves of nostalgia and longing.

            "Hello, earth to (First Name)? Did you hear what I said?"

            "Oh, um, yes. Of course. Whatever you say."

            He pats your head and smiles. "The ball will go late into the night – the guests will stay overnight. Keep that in mind and stay out of the ballroom area. Iwaizumi will be available if you need anything." The brunet turns smartly on his heel and walks out your door, closing it quietly behind him and leaving you alone in your room.