16. Drown Your Sorrows

You stand in front of two large ivory gates, garnished with aquamarine accents and the royal crest of the Oikawa family. Behind you is a line stretching out for miles, comprised of people from all over Aoba Jousai, proletariat and bourgeoisie alike. A guard eyes you and jerks his chin towards the small gap between gates, gesturing for you to enter the palace grounds and granting you access to an audience with the advisor of the king.

You hike up your skirts and take a deep breath, willing yourself to stay calm as you hold your head high and stride through the barely open gates.

Entering the audience room, Iwaizumi sits on a simple white chair surrounded by an equally minimalistic wallpaper. The crest of the royal family of Aoba Jousai is hanging on the wall behind him, and the white fir doors swing to a loud close behind you.

"Iwaizumi," you greet, curtsying low before the male. "I'm—"

The spiky-haired male glances up from his paper and his eyes widen. "You."

You're taken aback a bit, but continue. "(First Name/Last Name). Do you remember me?"

"What are you doing here?" He stands and places his planner on his seat before walking towards you, eyes narrowed. "Why aren't you with your fiancé in Karasuno?"

"About that. Um," you murmur, averting your gaze from his sharp eyes to the alabaster marble floor and shuffling your feet. "Can I speak to King Oikawa?"

"Tell me what happened first," he pushes, and turns to a guard. "Tell the people outside that audiences are over for today. I've fallen ill and cannot be disturbed; give them my apologies and say that I shall hopefully recover by tomorrow or the day after. And go fetch the king and bring him here."

The guard bows, his aquamarine tassels on his epaulettes shaking slightly as he does so; he motions to the other guards and exits, leaving you and the royal Aoba Jousai advisor alone in the vast room.

After watching them filter out of the chamber, you return your attention to Iwaizumi. "I... had a falling out with Kageyama."

"And?"

"I left him."

"Wasn't your wedding just a week ago or something? How did you get here?" He peers into your eyes and you flinch.

"I left him at the altar," you state, grinding your teeth as you glare at the male in front of you. "I left him at the altar with a note, and hitch-hiked my way here."

A pair of doors fly open, followed by a loud bang! and a cheerful cry: "Iwaizumi~ Did you need me?"

"Shittykawa, look who we have here. Queen (First Name)."

"I'm not queen," you mutter, shooting a glare to murder the devil at Iwaizumi and turning an irked expression to Oikawa. "Never was."

"Oh, (First Name), what are you doing here?"

Iwaizumi jerks a thumb in your general direction as he grits his teeth and fills the king in: "She didn't marry King Kageyama and instead came here. She says she left him standing at the altar with a note. I don't know what she wants."

"You had a wedding and didn't invite me?" The brunet pouts, eyes watering as he clings onto you. "I thought we had something special, (First Name)!"

"It was a private wedding, for the purposes of being wed. We were going to hold a more lavish, public affair and invite the people, rulers of other countries, and my parents at a later time. You were invited to that, I think. If Kageyama didn't change the guest list," you sigh, rubbing your temples as you gingerly detach the king from your right arm. "I'm here because I have a request to make of you."