21. Jarringly Similar

"Congratulations on your engagement to King Oikawa," Kageyama murmurs, faltering a bit. He avoids your gaze and bites his lip, his face blanched and the veins on his hands bulging slightly as he grips the side of his tuxedo jacket tightly.

"Oh, (Fake First Name), you dropped your macaron," Oikawa notes offhandedly, poking you in the side and pointing at the fallen pastry, now lying in flaky pieces on the cold tiled floor.

"If I may, can I speak to you alone, (Fake First Name)?"

Your head snaps up to look at Kageyama from surprise at his question and you hesitate. "M-Me?"

"Are you going to try to take her away from me, Tobio?" The brunet cheerfully prods Kageyama in the arm and chuckles at him, but the smile doesn't reach his eyes. You can only shiver at the stare he sends your ex-fiancé, loathe to be on the receiving end of that terrifying expression.

"Oh, here you are, Your Royal Highness," a gentle silvery voice chimes in and breaks the tension in the air. "Please excuse him."

You take a step back. Shit.

Karasuno's butler pauses and looks at you. Recognition flickers in his eyes but he says nothing, instead pulling his stare away from you to glance at Kageyama. With a hushed whisper, Sugawara's gaze flits from you to his king and back to you, before he clears his throat. "And you are...?"

"(F-Fake First Name)," you manage to stutter out, your exaggerated Aoba Jousai accent breaking a bit.

A strong arm wraps around your waist and Oikawa pulls you back to stand behind him. "She's my fiancée," the brunet in front of you murmurs.

"Delighted to meet you. Congratulations on the engagement," Sugawara replies without missing a beat. "I do apologize for this, but the king and I have some people to greet and various matters to discuss. If you'll excuse us." He bows, his telltale silver hair flopping into his gentle face, but his hazel eyes are sharp and chill you to the bone.

You watch the two of them disappear into the crowd. "They know," you manage to choke out. "They know."

Oikawa looks down at you but says nothing, instead grabbing your wrist and jerking you out of the ballroom and into the hallway; he pulls you into a nearby guestroom and locks the door.

You stumble forward, barely able to stand in your painful white heels, and support yourself against the handle of a plush chair. Your voice breaks and tears form in your eyes, threatening to overflow, as you tremble. "They know. They know, they have to have known." Your knuckles are white and there's a red handprint on your forearm from where the Grand King had been clutching you with a vice grip.

The brunet leans against the door, head tilting upwards and eyes closed. His voice rings throughout the quiet room. "Why did you go out there?"

You hiccup and fat, salty tears stream down your face. "They saw right through us." Your breath hitches as you collapse onto the floor, legs crumpled underneath your frilly dress. "Oikawa, They saw right through us."

"Why did you go out there?"

You sniffle. "They have to have realized who I am by now."

"Answer me." His voice is soft, but his words cut through the air in the room and silence your sobs. "Why did you go out there?"

Oikawa's greeted with you silence and he breathes an exasperated sigh. "Why didn't you listen to me?"