5. What Do You Want, My Royal Highness?

I'm sorry.

The two simple words keep circling in your mind.

The color drains from your face and you sit there on the bed, your fixed gaze on Kageyama's face. You slowly look down at your hands sitting in your lap, blinking several times as you do so, inhaling and exhaling loudly.

You're vaguely aware of the king waving his hand in your face, peering into your face as he says your name over and over again, but all you see are the off-white curtains blocking the view of the outdoors. You stand up, startling the king; he falls backwards, only to watch you take slow, cautious steps to pull open the drapes and fling open the curtains.

A brisk spring breeze whips into the room, hesitantly at first, then all at once. The curtains ruffle in the wind behind you as you gaze out the window, glancing at the dancing flowers in the wind and the sturdy trunks of trees. The grass seems greener than it was yesterday.

I'm sorry.

That's all you hear.

"(First Name)... I'm sorry."

(First Name), I'm sorry.

Your back to the king, you allow yourself a small smile as you watch two squirrels underneath a tree, one chasing the other, the object of its affections.

(First Name), I'm sorry.

Slowly turning around to face Kageyama, you stand in front of him, a soft smile dancing on your lips as you watch him fidget on the bed.

"What for, My Royal Highness?" You blink slowly, looking at him through your lashes. A grin tugs on your lips but you try to keep a straight face.

He blinks several times, then looks away, not wanting to meet your gaze. "For..."

"For?"

"Why did you say 'My Royal Highness?' Isn't the phrase 'Your Royal Highness'? And yet you call me an idiot."

You cock your head and raise a finger to your lips, letting the aforementioned grin pull your lips into a small "u" shape. "Whatever are you sorry for, My Royal Highness?"

"Enough of this!" He bolts upwards, quick enough to take you off guard and make you jump a bit. "I said I was sorry – can't you accept it like a normal person?"

You look at him sideways, the happy expression gone and replaced with a displeased frown. "Normal person?"

"You're parroting what I'm say again."

"And what's wrong with that? It's a simple question; I use it to get people to elaborate since I don't speak the language of idiots." You clip your words, letting the subtle insult sink in as understanding and recognition dawn upon the king.

Kageyama grabs you by the shoulder, his seething, sharp glare equivalent to that of ice. Scowling, you match him, stare for stare. His vice grip on your shoulder tightens, but you refuse to let the fact that he's hurting you show on your face, maintaining your perfect poker face.

The two of you stand like that for what seems to be eternity. You heave a sigh and close your eyes, breaking off the intense staring contest.

"What do you want from me, Kageyama?"

You wait for his response, watching his eyes flick to the top left corner, then top right – everywhere but straight in your eyes. His grip loosens and the former king lets go of you, stepping back a little.

"I... don't know."

「♚」

At the dinner table, the aura is frosty. Your mother notices but says nothing, instead making idle, loud conversation, her voice the only sound ringing throughout the household.