10. Uncertainty and Teddy Bears

Unless you marry him, my lady.

You practically keel backwards at Sugawara's words, staring at his face in shock. "Me? Marry the king?" Your mouth hangs open at his suggestion as you sit up straighter. "I'm sorry, Sugawara, but have you gone crazy? You're joking, aren't you?"

The butler leans forwards and shakes his head. "Miss (First Name), do I look like I'm joking?"

You stare into his deep brown eyes, watching the candlelight reflection flicker in his pupils. Inhaling deeply, you raise your head to look up at the ceiling. A soft sigh escapes your lips as you blink thrice, then glance down at the floor. "No," you manage to say, wringing your hands and biting your lip.

He reaches out and rests his hand on your knee, his earnest, melted-chocolate eyes boring into your own. "My lady, please consider it. The future stability of this country rests in your hands."

You continue to stare down at your lap, hands clasped together tightly. The butler stands and softly pads over to the door, closing it behind him as he leaves.

"What am I going to do?" Mumbling, you fall back onto the bed and cover your face with your pillow. "I thought I was just an advisor... I don't want to make these kinds of choices!"

「♚」

You wake up the next day, groggy and irritated at the loud voice (and accompanying knocks) coming from your door. "Wait a second, I'm getting dressed!"

Dressed in only your nightgown, you fling open the door to see the one and only king standing in front of your door. You rub the back of your head, frowning. "My lord, you do realize that I was sleeping, right?"

"I was well aware," he sniffs. "Get dressed. We're going to breakfast."

"You'd better go first," you yawn, stretching your arms above your head and arching your back like a cat. "I'm going to take a while."

"Can't you just get dressed now?" He shoves his way past you into your suite, assuming a position in front of your dresser.

"Well, somebody woke me up – rather rudely, too, I might add." You shrug, rubbing the sleep from your eyes before pushing the king to the side and squatting in front of your drawers, provided by Sugawara. Grabbing a few articles of clothing from the chest, you clutch them to your chest as you stare at Kageyama. "Well?"

"Well, what?" He stares at you.

"Well, my royal highness, will you leave?"

"Why? Don't tell me what to do."

"Consider it some advice, unless you'd like to see me strip and dress in front of you."

He flushes slightly before mumbling something about indecent peasants, turning around as he does so.

"Thank you," you murmur as you move to the corner, the only view Kageyama would have of you being your back. You pull the clothes on rather quickly and face the king again, fully dressed. "I've got to get to the bathroom, too," you say, tapping on his shoulder.

The male glances at you, evaluating your outfit before giving a grunt of approval. He crosses his arms, continuing to scan you up and down.

You clear your throat and gesture towards the side with your eyes and chin. "Will you move?"

"Oh."

"Thanks. Just wait out here, will you?" Walking past him into your personal bathroom, you shoot him a smile before closing the door behind you.