2. A Reluctant Adviser and an Imbecile of a King

Court ladies swarm the gardens, fanning themselves with delicate silk fans. Their brightly colored, ankle-length dresses catch the sun and make you flinch, unable to look at them for a moment longer. You can hear their high-pitched giggles as they follow the king with their eyes, not bothering to spare you a single glance. Letting go a sigh, you trail the king into the palace.

Inside the king's grand courtroom, it's just you and King Kageyama; his guards and normal posse of people are nowhere to be seen. He seats himself in the throne, throwing his cape over the arm of the chair, his crown cocked precariously on his head. Said male busies himself with fiddling with the arrangement of his cape on his shoulder and a heavy silence falls upon the two of you as you watch him, barely able to suppress your impatience.

"Where are your other advisor candidates?" You break the loud silence, watching the king flinch from your demanding tone.

He recovers quickly, regaining his previous composure, Prussian-blue eyes flashing. "You do not speak unless spoken to first."

You mentally facepalm but nod your head. "Got it, Your Royal Highness. Thank you for enlightening this poor pleb."

His eye twitches but he says nothing.

A deafening silence blankets the room again until he interrupts the silence once more, startling you out of your daydream.

"You're the only advisor I want."

"Pardon?" You barely manage to catch the last part of that sentence. "What did you say?"

"Listen closely whenever I speak."

"I shall hang onto your every word, my lord. Please tell me what you just said," you say, mocking the king with your eyes.

He seems to take you seriously and nods, satisfied with your reply. "I said, you're the only advisor that I'll ever take on."

You reel back at this news but maintain a calm composure. "Alright."

"Do you understand what that means, girl?"

"No, Your Royal Highness."

Kageyama sighs. "You're to accompany me wherever I go."

"What are we, joined at the hip?" You hiss under your breath. "Got it, sir."

"Our first order of business is to go to the front lines and rally the troops," he says out loud. "That'll be in three days. Sugawara will help you settle in."

A butler appears out of nowhere, bowing to you, his mop of silver-gray hair flopping messily into his face. "I'm Sugawara. You will find that your things have been taken care of and put into your room; the same goes for your..." he pauses to think, looking for the right words, then cocks his head and smiles. "...for your wolf companion."

You smile. "Thanks."

Kageyama stands up, bringing the conversation to a dead pause; walking quickly, he strides out of the room. You watch his back disappear into the distance as Sugawara sighs besides you.

"His Royal Highness is very temperamental," he says. "Please take good care of him."

"Is he a baby or something? Am I his nursemaid now, what with this 'please take good care of him' stuff?" You mutter.

"Nothing of the sort. Here, I'll show you to your room."

Grumbling, you follow the butler to the lavish room, modestly furnished but adorned with items only royalty could afford. You plop onto the large bed, hearing it creak and moan under its new weight, and wrinkle your nose at the overpowering floral scent, probably from the vase of roses next to the desk.