8. Tea with a Side of Trust

"I'm so sorry to have to ask you to do this, Kageyama, but the twins have school, (First Name) is sick, I have to go to the market again, and her father has to go work at the smithy! Could you please watch over her?" Your mother bows over and over again to the former king, hair falling into her eyes as she pleads with him. "I know you're the former king and you're probably not used to taking care of others, but all she really needs is just someone to make sure she rests!"

The tall male waves both hands in front of his chest, grimacing. "Uh, I guess I could do it," he mumbles, scratching the back of his head. "Stop bowing to me, though – I'm not a king anymore," he frowns. "It's not really all that much trouble, and I wouldn't have anything to do, anyways."

"If you don't watch over (First Name), she's definitely going to get up and overexert herself while she's still sick! Please, I'm begging you, take care of her!"

"Okay, okay! I got it! I'll do it!" he snaps at her, if only to get her to shut up. Seeing her hurt look, he flinches and apologizes, mentally reprimanding himself for being so snarky. If (First Name) saw this, she'd call me a pissy boy king again, then she'd hit me on the head. He smiles at the thought and reassures your mother that he'll take care of you; ushering her out the door with a quick farewell, he turns on his heel and heads for your room.

「♚」

"Kageyama?" You open a tired eye to look at who just entered your room. "Is that you?" Trying to sit up, you're promptly bombarded by a stray pillow; you wince in response.Your wolf sleeps peacefully next to your bed.

"Stay in bed."

"But—"

"I said, stay in bed." Marching over to you, Kageyama sits next to you. You notice how his eyebrows form a small 'V' as he peers at you.

"I have to work!"

"'I have to work,' she says," he mimics, eyebrows furrowing upwards and mouth forming an upside-down triangle, the bags under his eyes creasing ever so slightly as he does so.

"That's an ugly face," you say. "Try smiling; maybe you won't make me want to puke." Hacking loudly into your arm, you continue. "I do have to work, though."

"What exactly do you have to do?"

"I have to herd my sheep."

"Can't anyone else do it?"

"No." You glare at the boy, who sighs.

"I saw that peppy ginger before, when I visited. He seemed super excited about herding your sheep. What about him?"

"No. Definitely not Shoyo – anybody but him."

"Shoyo it is. Where's your wooden stick thing? That thing you wave around at the sheep with."

"You don't even listen to me! What's the point of talking? And that wooden thing's called a crook, you idiot."

"Yeah, that. Where is it?"

"Not telling you."

"Fine. I found it anyways." He grabs your crook, which was leaning against the bedroom wall, and leaves your bedroom.

「♚」

"Look who I brought back," Kageyama announces as he strides back into your room.