3. Impending Invasions and Early Morning Escapes

You lose your footing, startled from the news, and almost topple over. "Nekoma's invading?! What happened to the army?!"

"I don't know! The king won't tell me anything!" Sugawara says, anxiety in his eyes as he wrings his hands back and forth, glancing at the floor and at the ceiling – anywhere but at you. "Go talk to him! Calm him down, please, my lady – only you will be able to!"

"Why am I the only one who can handle him?"

"I don't know – I get that feeling. That's beside the point, though – go talk to him and calm him down!" Sugawara looks you over. "Maybe put on some regular clothes first before you see him," he says, referring to your current pajama outfit. "He's shut himself in his room, down the hall and to the left. You can't miss it."

You scowl and turn back into your room, closing the door tightly behind you as you change your clothes and dash out the door again, running down the hall towards the king's bedroom.

「♚」

Standing before the king's bedroom doorway, you gape in amazement. It's an elegantly carved, mahogany wood frame, complete with peals of flowers and eloquent vines and leaves, topped with a crown at the top. The doorknobs are pure gold, gleaming as they reflect the sun's early morning light streaming in through the narrow, cathedral-like glass window.

You raise a hesitant hand to the door, steel yourself against any possible reprimands from the king, and knock loudly. "King Kageyama? It's (First Name/Last Name). May I come in?"

There's no reply. You try the doorknob and the door slides open easily; you peek in and see the king slumped in a chair and watching the scene out his window.

"Your Royal Highness? I'm coming in." Pushing open the door, you step inside and close the door behind you, making your way to stand behind his chair.

There's a long pause as you stand there, unsure of what to say, until he breaks the silence.

"(Last Name)."

"Yes, my lord?"

He stands up and turns to look at you, a tired look on his face and despondent pleas in his eyes. "What should I do?"

You blink rapidly, unsure of how to answer – he never asked you for advice in such a serious manner before, and you can tell that he isn't joking. You look at him again.

He continues after a long pause. "My army... my army deserted me and Karasuno's unprotected now; we're open to attack and invasion and Nekoma's taken advantage of that. They've broken past the border and are making steady progress towards the castle. The townspeople have left the town near this palace; there's no one within a 25-mile radius of this place. Aoba Jousai is coming as well and there's no one to stop neither Nekoma nor Aoba Jousai."

Kageyama stops and looks at you, pleading with his eyes for help. You silently take his hand and guide him to the bed, sitting and patting the spot next to you to invite the king to sit as well. He does so, waiting for your response.

"What happened to your army men?" you ask.

"They've left me. Deserted. Gone."

You blink, then say, "There's nothing for you to do. You're vulnerable and wide-open, susceptible to attack."

"Then what, now? Am I a sitting duck, an easy target for Nekoma and Aoba Jousai to pick off as they so please to?"