15. Anamnesis

"Kageyama is invading Aoba Jousai?" You bolt upright immediately, searching his eyes for any hint that this might be a joke and that the king isn't just an idiot.

Sawamura nods and you press a palm to your forehead, sighing loudly as the idea that Kageyama is an idiot begins to sink in. "Is he serious about this?"

"He seemed to be," comes the general's terse reply. "I overheard it when he was talking to himself as he walked down the hall. Do you have any idea why he might do that, my lady?"

"I have no idea," you groan. "No idea at all. He can't possibly plan to attack King Oikawa before the wedding, right? That's in two weeks... there's no way he'd be able to conquer the land and make it back in time to marry me. Is that reasonable of me to think so, Sawamura?"

He nods. "Yes. If he wants a successful invasion with new lands annexed, it will take at least three months, given that he wants to go up against Aoba Jousai."

"Karasuno's just recently recovered from the war, too. This is great. Just great."

"Is that sarcasm, my lady?"

"What else could it be?" Your hand slides down your face as you slump into a chair, worry and frustration etched clearly on your features. "I'm going to get white hairs from him, I swear."

"What do you suggest we do?" He wrings his hands as he watches your slouched form fall even further into the chair at the mere suggestion of having to deal with your husband-to-be."

You run a hand through your messy (hair color) locks and force yourself to sit upright in the chair, crossing your legs and resting your forearms on the chair's arm rests. "Why don't we watch him for now? We have two weeks before he'll act upon his words and invade Aoba Jousai. Let's see what he does and if he's doing anything more suspicious. Have you noticed anything recently, Sawamura?"

He shakes his head. "No, my lady. I've been busy training the troops and whatnot. You?"

"Wedding planning takes its toll on you, you know. You'd think that as queen-to-be, I'd have more help, but nope. Not at all. I haven't had the time to function properly, much less notice anything. I'll go call Sugawara and see what he says." You stand up and make your way to the door, opening it and stepping out. Before you close it entirely, you turn around to gaze at the general. "Keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior, okay?"

The general salutes you, and you close the door behind you as you enter the hallway. Looking left and right, you decide to go left and walk down the halls, calling the butler's name loudly in the hope that he hears you.

「♚」

You fall upon your bed, pulling the blankets up to your chin and closing your eyes hesitantly. Kageyama sleeps soundly beside you as you toss and turn, eventually settling on lying on your side, facing away from your fiancé.

"Kageyama..." Your lips form his name but no sound escapes. "Sawamura saw nothing, and Sugawara didn't notice anything, either."

The king turns towards you, tugging at the comforter as he cocoons himself into an elongated burrito.

Glancing back at him, you heave a sigh as you glance over your shoulder to make sure that he's still asleep. "I'll have to be careful. If I act carelessly... all will go to hell." You close your eyes, letting your vision spin for a minute or so before it calms down and settles.