26. To Whom?

Chapter 26: To Whom?

Sugawara watches the king's lips form the words as his eyes dart across the page, reading and rereading the sloping handwriting slathered across the page. "My lord?"

"You made promises to everyone. What does that mean?"

"You promised someone something, perhaps? But 'everyone' is plural, so maybe multiple people, then."

Kageyama leans back in his plush faux fur chair, the cushions behind him letting out a soft sigh as he puts his full weight on them. "When have I ever promised anyone anything? Maybe (First Name), perhaps, but..."

"You did promise the people that you would make Karasuno a better country after warring with Nekoma," Sugawara pipes up, glancing quickly at his king's face.

"I did do that," Kageyama nods. He sits up and holds the letter with both hands, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the wooden table. The light flickers as the night outside grows ever darker.

"If this is like a scavenger hunt, perhaps it would be better to visit the balcony where you promised the people that, then."

The king fiddles with his shirt collar, fingers jittery and hands trembling with nervous energy. "What of the buttons, then? What does that part of the riddle mean?"

"Which part? Pushing them or fixing them?"

"Both. Does that mean I should pay a visit to the tailor, too?"

"My lord, if I may, you may be thinking a bit too literally," the butler laughs, but he stops rather quickly after a sharp glare from the king.

"We'll visit the tailor tonight. And the balcony as well."

Sugawara sighs, rubbing his temples as he shakes his head. "The tailor has likely closed for the day and the balcony is roped off. The Parliamentary building isn't open until tomorrow."

"Of course it's open. I'm the king – everything is open for me."

"My lord, I think it's time you rest," his butler murmurs, laying a gentle hand on Kageyama's shoulder. "It's been a busy day and nothing is open. The roads are dark and the journey dangerous at night. It would be better to investigate tomorrow."

"Are you questioning me, Sugawara?"

"Deepest apologies, sir, but this is for your own health. I promised your parents that I would look out for you, and I intend to keep my oath to the late king and queen, may they rest in peace."

「♚」

"Are you sure we're allowed to do this, (First Name)? I can't see anything..."

"Of course it's okay! We just have to get over this fence, climb in through that window, pick a lock or two, and voila! We'll be inside Parliament!" You flash a thumbs-up over your shoulder at the hesitant king.

"I thought we were going back to Nekoma."

"We are, Kuroo, just in due time! Now hush, or we'll get caught!"

"What I don't understand is why we can't just introduce ourselves to the guards standing over there and have them let us in," the Nekoma advisor sighs, crossing his arms behind his head. "It'd be so much easier that way."

"If we do that, the guards will notify Kageyama that you're here – since you're royalty, after all – and then I'll really be found out!"

"You're already in deep enough shit as it is, (First Name)," Kuroo hisses. "It's basically thigh-high over here and it reeks. But maybe you can't smell it since you're always around it." He shifts his footing, trying to avoid the bird and deer feces in the grass.