Prologue

"Yep, this looks like the place," Toney Gladestone said, sticking a picture of a burgundy house out of his pocket . He held the picture out of the car window and examined it and the actual house side by side, smirking as he did so. "Man, it's been about forty years since we been back to Prescott. I bet this place still haven't changed a bit."

"Are you sure that this will be a good time to visit them, father?" Joel asked with his honey-colored hand out of the car, allowing it to be enveloped in the humid Arkansas air.

"Of course," Toney said with a grin as he took a large drink of cream soda from a glass bottle. "I'm more than sure that Raheem and Abigail won't mind me visiting a little early."

Joel gave him a dry stare. "It's four in the morning, father. If we stick around here any longer we are going to have the police called on us. I'm pretty sure that counts as being too early for anybody's standards."

Toney grinned as he said, "If you're worried about it, then stay here. Let your old man take care of this." He placed the brown bottle in the cup holder and got out of the car. 

"That's not the point of- wait, father," Joel added as his father walked towards the house. He made his way through the gravel drive-way. Rocks crunched under his tan boots as he inhaled the scent of fresh-cut grass and the clean, southern air. He knocked on the screen door, listening for any movement inside. Seconds later, the porch light turned on before one of the blinds in the door's window snapped down. The door swung open to a tall, black man leaning on the door post, wearing a white muscle shirt and black, plaid pajama pants.

To Toney, Raheem Wolf hadn't changed at all. Raheem was a slim, slightly muscled man whose dark skin was about three shades lighter than Toney's and was about half a head shorter. His dreadlocks hung down over his shoulders, his chin covered by a thick, short goatee. He rubbed his face and yawned as he murmured, "Didn't know Jehovah Witnesses came in at four in the morning. Listen, I'm already committed to a religion so-" His voice trailed off as he opened his dark brown eyes. "No way. Toney?"

"In the flesh. I thought you had forgot about me for a second."

Raheem grinned as he hugged his friend. "Forget about you, man? Are you kidding? Boy, you were as skinny as a railroad spike last I seen you. Now look at you. You look like you could bench press train axles," Raheem said, smiling. "What happened to your red hair?"

Running a hand across his shaved head, he grinned as he said, "I had to cut it and dye it black to 'fit in with society.' That and I wasn't able to have long hair in the MMA Tournaments back in Japan. Competition's stiff down there." Toney said as he and Raheem laughed. It was hard to believe that they hated each other when they were younger. He missed being able to laugh with one of his best friends, though their upbringing could've been better. The both of them were a part of the same team as they trained and fought in the last war ages ago.

Though, with the news that he'd received, they may be in the midst of a new war. 

Toney's face hardened, his baritone voice cold. "So, did you hear Ichi's reports?"

Just as quickly as Toney spoke, Raheem's smile faded. "Not yet. You wanna come in and discuss this?"

"Nah. I'm probably not going to be here for too long. There have been some strange activities throughout the human race lately. People were driven mad and began going on a murderous rampage. The strange thing is the blood-red markings that each of them bore on their body. The most recent one took place up in Arkadelphia. "

Raheem stared at his bare feet in silence, a finger over his upper lip. "Well, what if they went to someone who weren't a professional tattoo artist? I know plenty of people who does that."

"I thought about that too, but there were also reports on the markings themselves. They had no signs of broken skin or indents, and the markings didn't even seem to be made from ink, but from blood. I think you know what that means, right?" Toney asked him as he folded his arms across his broad chest.

"Yeah. The Hell-sealed Tattoos. I was hoping that my children wouldn't have to experience this." He gave a frustrated sigh. "Dammit. I didn't think he would begin to regain his power already. I mean, it's only been forty years. How was he able to revive so soon? And about how long do we have until he's back at full power?"

"Ichi is looking into that as we speak. Right now, we have to focus on opening the academy. I've already enrolled my daughter and accepted the people that qualified. I didn't see Ian's, though." Raheem lowered his head, no doubt remembering his time at the academy. Toney could see that Raheem didn't want his son to go through the same hardships he had to endure. "Look, I know you don't want to. I don't blame you. Things have gone to hell up in Amity since the new Sages were appointed. But we don't have any choice."

Toney sighed as he rubbed his forehead. He didn't want any of his children to fight in the upcoming war, especially his youngest daughter, Megumi. However, he knew very well that they were left with no other choice but to have them learn to fight in order to protect themselves. "You know that we have no choice," he repeated. "But don't forget, I'm the headmaster now. I'm not going to run the Academy like Headmaster Boltz did."

They were both silent for a moment, with only the chirping of cicadas, crickets, and frogs interrupting the silence. Finally, Raheem said, "Not the best kind of news to get in the morning. Fine. I'll enroll Dre and Ian. Just promise me something." He rose his head up, glaring into Toney's midnight blue eyes. "Follow the age limit. There's no telling how many children Boltz got killed we were enrolled. I know that you'd never allow it, but it'll be more relieving to hear you say it."

"You have my word. Come to my house at about seven. Oh, and bring these with you." Toney dug into his jean-shorts pocket and pulled out a small red plastic package. The inside was filled with small, honey-yellow pieces of candy.

"Candy? Look, man, I appreciate your concern for my sweet tooth, but this isn't the time for candy."

"They aren't ordinary candy. They're Amian Honey Drops. Ichi designed them for new students. Before you eat one, say the place that you want to go out loud, and it will transport you to the destination almost instantly. He said it had something to do with a bunch of nerdy stuff. Vocal recognition, waypoints, and what have you."

Raheem surveyed the bag. It was about the size of a Skittles package. On the front was Amian Honey Drops in shiny gold. "What happened to the telepads?"

"Ichi said that they were obsolete, so he's been working on a replacement for people more experienced with teleporting. Knowing him, he may have already finished it."

"Huh. So, when will the school open?"

"At about three. I'll have the entrance exams start after the welcoming buffet."

Raheem frowned once he heard the word "entrance exams", bringing back old memories of when he had to go through it. He furrowed his brows. "But, wait, if I already have the means of teleporting, why do I have to come to your house?"

"Why not?" Toney answered with a grin.

Rubbing the wing of his nose, Raheem stated, "Even after forty years, you still say that. I'll let Abi know, but this was supposed to be her off day. She's gonna be pissed."

"Good luck with that." Curiosity flashed in Toney's eyes. "I heard you mention someone named Dre. Is that your son?"

"Yep. Youngest cub of the family. He just turned seventeen in January."

"No kidding? My baby girl is eighteen. You know, since they'll be going to the same school, how about I have her take Dre over to my house? We can meet up there to discuss what's going on. We won't mention Aggaron though. Not yet."

"Agreed."

"Good." Toney turned towards the stairs. "Good luck waking your wife."

"Thanks, man. I'll need it," Raheem groaned before closing the door.