The Trial of Michael

"Are you really going to meet him?" Dre asked once Zero was out of earshot.

"Not like I have a choice." Michael hated the mere thought of having to meet someone whom he had never spoken to, yet he knew not only Michael's first and last name, but Keiko's as well. He grimaced as he laid his spoon back into his third bowl of beef stew.

"Do you have a tummy ache, Michael?" Keiko asked him as she took the last bite of roast.

"Yeah. Just a stomach ache," Michael lied.

"I feel like I can take on a god now," Megumi sighed, laying down the silverware on the plate. "I can't wait to work this off."

"You may get your chance sooner than you think," Jerek said as he stuck a tooth pick in his mouth.

"What do you mean?" Keiko asked after a deep yawn.

"Think about it," Jason began. "When Toney brought up the Edge Walkers, he never said that we wouldn't meet them."

"And he said that we wouldn't be in any life threatening situations, but he never said that we wouldn't get hurt." Jerek added.

"You guys are just over-analyzing this," Dre said as he took one last spoonful of stew, praying that his stomach wouldn't explode.

Both Jason and Jerek glared at him before they both said, "Are we now?"

"Need I remind you," Jerek began, "that we also have the exam after this, and as far as I know, it's not an academic exam?"

"Not only that," Jason cut in, "but Toney said that our powers will be awaken, but he failed to explain exactly how they will be awaken."

"Ya'll are just being paranoid. It will most likely be a questionnaire or something," said Ian, throwing his hands behind his head. "Besides, you really think our parents will send us here to die?"

"Our parents, yeah," Jason said with a straight face.

Seconds later, Toney ask for their attention from the exit. The buzzing of the students quieted down. "If everyone is all finished, then please follow Journeyman Chris Blade to the examination area." He gestured to a short man with a short, auburn mohawk and a closely trimmed goatee standing beside him. Chris wore a black sleeveless shirt with the British flag tattooed on his right shoulder.

"And we are going where?" asked Jerek, as he made his way to the exit, the rest of the students following.

A wicked smile crept on Chris Blade's face as he said, in a thick English accent, "We're going to the Edge Walker's Forest."

The cafeteria exploded with an outrage of cries. Toney calmly raised his hand; the students silenced themselves as Toney looked as cheerful as he could. He nodded to Chris Blade, who began to speak again. "Yes, we are going to the Edge Walker's Forest. You thought you were just gonna eat up our food and not work for it? Nuh uh. Around here, we earn our keep, and with you all not even awakening your element, this is the perfect way to make payment. Every Amian has to be in a life-threatening situation in order to be able to use their power quickly. If it makes you all feel better, nobody has died as of yet, but as the Humans always says, there is a first time for everything."

The students fell into a collective gasp, but before they had a chance to complain again, Chris Blade turned toward a long and narrow hallway. "Alright, everyone follow me to the entrance of the Edge Walker's Forest. The sooner we do this, the sooner we can leave, and the sooner you will be able to use your powers." He made his way to the other side of the door and continued as the large wave of students passed him by. "Let's go, everybody. One, two. One, two. Anyone left behind will be fed to the Edge Walkers, and if you are daring enough to slow up on purpose, I will not hesitate to make an example out of you. That includes you, Sasquatch," he said, glaring at Michael, who fought through the crowd in order to keep Keiko where he can see her.