DeGray Lake

About an hour later, after taking Michael and Keiko to the store for their swim suits, they finally arrived at Lake DeGray. Keiko stared out at the lake, completely star-struck. The lake went on for miles, surrounded by a thick, hilly forest. "This is so amazing!" She ran towards the beach, her arms outstretched.

"It is pretty nice," Megumi said through Michael's advising Keiko to get changed first. "Where are the changing stations?"

"They're back behind us," Dre indicated with his thumb to a brick shack behind them. "Last one changed is a rotten-" Michael tripped him as he turned to the bathrooms, making him fall face first in the sand before he dashed to the station, bag at hand. "You cheater!" He worked his way up from the hot sand and rushed after him.

Laughing, Dre dashed towards Michael. Even though they were having fun, Dre couldn't help but be perplexed by something. The bickering of who gets the front seat, tripping Dre so he'd have an advantage in the race. It was almost like they were friends, despite Michael's cold demeanor. Dre grinned. "Get back here!" he called.

As they were closing in on the bathrooms, they were both stopped by a familiar figure walking out of the women's station. She wore an elegant, white bikini that showed off her curvaceous figure, as well as a matching pair of sandals. Her straw hat sent small dots of sunlight on her face. The two stopped in front of her, jaws dropped. Rose looked up at them and smiled. "Oh, Michael. Dre. Nice to see you." She picked up a straw basket from the side of the bathroom.

"Rose? When did you get here?" Michael asked, adverting his eyes.

"Not too long ago. I presumed that we would get hungry, so I brought some food for us to have a picnic."

"Oh! Smart thinking, Rose," Dre complimented. "The rest of the group is heading up here to get dressed." He looked around. "Where's Ian?"

Rose's face soured before she said, "I have not seen him yet."

Guess she's still pretty sore at him.

"Well, I'm gonna go get changed. See you out there," Dre said before he and Michael walked to the other side of the shack.

The inside of the shack was painted a dull gray. Two stalls were perched on the walls beside a porcelain sink made for three people. To the left of the stalls were three bathroom stalls that doubled as changing stations. He went into the farthest stall and changed into his maroon swimming trunks, keeping his shoes on until he reached the outside again. There was no telling how many people probably confused the floor as a toilet.

Once outside, he saw Michael standing beside the entrance reading from his book. "It's about time you made it out," he said as he snapped his book shut.

"It's not like you needed to wait for me or anything. I'm a big boy." Dre realized how ironic it was, considering Michael towered over him. They both made their way to the sandy beach of the lake. "You know, I'm just now realizing something. Our team has more girls in it than it does boys."

"Where are you going with this?"

"I've been thinking. If Samantha and I break up, do you think I'd have a chance at dating one of them?" Dre asked, gesturing out to the girls in the lake.

"Why is it so important?"

"Well, Samantha's my first girlfriend, and I didn't even get her until this year. So, that's seventeen years that I've been without a girlfriend."

"And?"

"And, I don't really like being alone."

"That's why you have friends."

"No, I mean, like, on an intimate level. You know, like holding hands and stuff."

"Do you like any of them?"

Dre looked away from Michael. He could feel his face heating up. "Well, I may have a crush or two-"

"Then don't worry about it. We're young. We've still got to find our place in life and who fits in it. If it happens to be one of the girls on the team, then more power to you. If not, then don't fret. We have two worlds filled with people. Someone will come when the time is right."

"Maybe you're right. You know, you're pretty smart for someone our age. You must have had some amazing parents."

Michael tensed. "If only that were the case," he said in a low voice.

"Hey, guys!" Megumi called from the lake. "Hurry up and get in!"

Dre grinned, wiping the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. "Don't have to tell me twice!" He dashed to the cool lake and dove in once he was waist deep, allowing his body to be embraced by the cold water. A full day of suffering at both of the schools were definitely worth it to spend the day here. "I'm alive again! Come on, dude! It's great."

Michael stood at the edge of the beach; his paleness seemed to make him shine from the sunlight in contrast to his black shorts. Slowly he made his way in, taking deep, sharp breaths. "Are you afraid of the water?" Rose asked.

"No. It's freaking cold."

Dre turned to the group; both Megumi and Keiko were having a splash fight. Rose floated on her back, lounging in the water's embrace. Kim had just resurfaced from under the water. He noticed Kim's swimming cap had the same blonde cat ears from her hood. "Hey, Kimmy. This may seem like a stupid question, but are you a cat person, or something?"

Kimmy's eyes shot wide open. "What? Why do you ask?"

"Well, your water cap thingy has the same cat ears as your jacket, so I figured you really liked cats and wore them around wherever you went."

"Oh," she breathed a sigh of relief. "Yes, cats are my favorite animals."

"Yo, people!" he heard someone call from the parking spots. The beach goers all turned to see Ian hopping out of his car already suited for the water. Hopping over the railing, he dashed across the beach towards them.

"Rockin'. Ian's here," Dre announced as Ian splashed down the lake. He rushed past Michael, who eyes were opened wide as he threw water across his back.

Rose's face soured. "Great. So much for relaxing."

"Ya'll enjoying the water? Oh, what's up Rose? You're looking sexy, as usual," he added, scanning the parts of Rose that he could see above the water. She gave a frustrated sigh before diving under. "Wonder what that was all-" Before he could finish speaking, Michael lifted him up from behind him and slammed him underwater.

"That was for splashing me on the way here."